Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any time I come across a cool ibanez model I havent seen before, I like to save pics. Would love to see others; but in the spirit of this particular thing, Im personally going for full production models; not 1 off LACS or spot models.

anyway, if anyone has an RG462 and can share pics, I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Penchant for the rare and weird, eh? Yeah, it's fun coming across models you didn't think existed.

There was someone here years ago who had a nice collection of all those Radius models.

When I first saw a 665, I thought it was some weird Maxxas/Vinnie Moore mash-up. There's even a HS config one, though not appearing in any catalogue. I'd guess the mini toggle is a blower which makes the bridge pu go straight to the jack.

Don't forget about the Dyuke. A Japan only range in 1987, basically a Roadstar 500/600 with different woods and pu configurations. They seem a bit more premium, given the ebony fingerboards and binding.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Damn! those Radius models are kick ass. I never knew they have configurations like that. It would be really cool to own a 542R and making it essentially a strat. One sold on reverb for $425, Imagine buying that for that price. That's cheaper than my Epi Les Paul! lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
I do like a Radius.. (Or in my case a JS as I've yet to get my hands on an original Radius model).
That orange maple fretboard HSS looks great! I'd love to find one of those.

A good maple fretboard model is one of the things my Ibanez collection lacks..

·
Super Moderator
7,396 Posts
That RG655 looks a lot like the shape of Vai’s ‘Hendrix’ guitars with the red/white fade and artwork on them.

I was sure that these were going to be the ‘big change’ Vai mentioned rather than the PIA guitars we actually got!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
round 3???

Damn! those Radius models are kick ass. I never knew they have configurations like that. It would be really cool to own a 542R and making it essentially a strat. One sold on reverb for $425, Imagine buying that for that price. That's cheaper than my Epi Les Paul! lol
theres a TON of them lol

Honestly you can probably throw any type "R" then press 3 random numbers and still come up with a radius model lol

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Seafoam Green RG440??? Cool...:cool:

Great pics... So many models I have never heard of! Any obscure ones that are 24.75", 24 fret, H-S, w/Edge trem?

·
Registered
708 Posts
^^ 24.75 is pretty rare unless it's an Artist or a (semi)hollow. Though they did put an Edge on the Artist and semi-hollow AM75 in 1986, but 22 frets only. Ibanez fully embraced the 80s by putting a Floyd on almost everything.

That RG655 looks a lot like the shape of Vai's 'Hendrix' guitars with the red/white fade and artwork on them.

I was sure that these were going to be the 'big change' Vai mentioned rather than the PIA guitars we actually got!
It does a bit, like something between these RGs and the more traditional Roadstars. Haha, your ticker stopped a tad at the thought, eh? :devil:

·
Super Moderator
7,396 Posts
It does a bit, like something between these RGs and the more traditional Roadstars. Haha, your ticker stopped a tad at the thought, eh? :devil:
Nah, I'm very much of the opinion that the JEM got things right, pretty much in 1987 and peaked somewhere between the original GMC and PMC in 1992 and the DNA in 2000.

Personally, I like the squarer feel to the edge of the body on a JEM (smaller radius) and I also like the clear pickguards on the rear routed body. To me the JEM was very decorative, yes, but at its core, first and foremost, is a very functional instrument. The PIA just pushes it a little too far in the decorative sense more than the functional sense. If the Premium BFP had an edge trem, it'd be right on the money.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I guess functionally the main stuff was there largely from the beginning, like neck shape, rear routed trem, HSH, jack placement, and the aanj in 1993, so most things Steve probably feels like changing up would be aesthetics and pickups. Like the Pia, he himself doubtless has softer edges these days :lol:, hence the guitar. Closest it got to the 'old days' were the PaW UVs.

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
Sugi has made several models of 24.75" scale RG J Customs in the last few years, and of course you're talking very expensive, but you asked.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think hes lookin for more like this maybe xD

540RS-SH. Good luck...

and no, not 540R, not 540S... 540RS

the 540s-sh has toggles instead of a blade, and of course has a 25.5" scale length.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts