Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got this information about dimarzio pups made for ibanez. here is what they sent back.

Selected OEM pickup models

Model
Made for
Retail Equivalent

C2
Ibanez
Similar to HS-2 (DP116)

C3
Ibanez
No equivalent. Closest model is Blue Velvet Bridge (DP171)

F1
Ibanez
No equivalent. Closest model is The Breed Bridge (DP166)

F2
Ibanez
No equivalent. Closest model is The Tone Zone (DP155)

F3
Ibanez
No equivalent. Closest model is Super 3 (DP152)

F4
Ibanez
No equivalent. Closest model is PAF (DP103)

H1
Fender
Same as Super 3 (DP152)

H2
Fender
Same as Super 3 (DP152)

H3
Fender
No equivalent. Closest model is Evolution Neck (DP158)

H4
Fender
No equivalent. Closest model is The Breed Neck (DP165)

H5
Fender
No equivalent. Closest model is The Breed Neck (DP165)

H6
Fender
No equivalent. Closest model is PAF (DP103)

H7
Fender
No equivalent. Closest model is F1 model for Ibanez

H8
Fender
Similar to PAF Pro (DP151)

sounds like i will be putting the usa f1 pups i have into my sz320....

DISCUSS!

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
It will be interesting to see how many people read this, then reinstall their old stock pickups or suddenly like them again.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The use of the word "similar" is quite generous... can i bet a million bucks on a pepsi challenge between a TZ and an F2?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This is old news to many of us,and i have many times told people about this when reading that they have got an old school ibanez that they are gonna swap out the factory IBZ F series pickups.Usually for a Tonezone!!! These pickups are the real deal yet often get lumped in with factory junk after 1993 or whatever. But dont fooled into thinking "hey,cheap Dimarzio option!" Many people want them and I have fought some hard battles over the years to obtain my extra ones for my newer Ibbys!! Sometimes it would of been cheaper to just buy a new tonezone/breed/super 3,but hey i prefer these in both sound and looks. The NOS,grey bobbin topped F3 & F2 in the photo below are being fitted into my EMG equipped J custom asap,I LOVE THESE PUPS!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my question now is...... how are these F1 pups from my old radius gonna sound in my mahogany/ maple cap set neck SZ? i like the breeds and the F1 is close to that model so i was quite happy to hear this. how does it sound in that style guitar?

thanks guys!

i also think pepsi and coke are very similar..... and dont prefer one to the other.... FWIW.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
my question now is...... how are these F1 pups from my old radius gonna sound in my mahogany/ maple cap set neck SZ? i like the breeds and the F1 is close to that model so i was quite happy to hear this. how does it sound in that style guitar?

thanks guys!

i also think pepsi and coke are very similar..... and dont prefer one to the other.... FWIW.
It sounds best as a neck pup for 22 frets of mahogany,SWEET! They were only a bridge pup in 22 fret basswood back in the day.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds best as a neck pup for 22 frets of mahogany,SWEET! They were only a bridge pup in 22 fret basswood back in the day.
i had them as a bridge and neck pup in my 89 radius..... i thought they sounded great. i just ran across a paf joe and mo joe and got em both for a bill.... so i put them in my radius. now i have the f1's and was thinking of putting them in the SZ. what will the bridge sound like? will it be muddy or too dark sounding? I think i am gonna try these out in the SZ....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i had them as a bridge and neck pup in my 89 radius..... i thought they sounded great. i just ran across a paf joe and mo joe and got em both for a bill.... so i put them in my radius. now i have the f1's and was thinking of putting them in the SZ. what will the bridge sound like? will it be muddy or too dark sounding? I think i am gonna try these out in the SZ....
I think it will have a nice classic rock type of sound,go for it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The use of the word "similar" is quite generous... can i bet a million bucks on a pepsi challenge between a TZ and an F2?
I thought the same thing, the F2 is one of the cleaner and more define bridge pickup that i've try, unlike the TZ which is pretty muddy and darker, I like the F2 much more.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
go to the dimarzio site and check out the super 3 audio clips.... that would be the closest sounding to the F3 so if you like the sounds you hear then you should like it in your guitar...

·
Registered
612 Posts
i think the f2..c3..f4..are the best pickups ever put in an ibby..if you got them leave them alone you cant get a better set of pickups..i love em

1 - 20 of 27 Posts