Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
I know that this marks me as old, and I know the end result is the same, but it just all seemed so much more ‘real’ back then than it does now with Kempers, Axe FX and digital recording on a Mac in the spare bedroom.

It’s a bit like a tuned classic muscle car versus a Tesla, the modern electric car is almost certainly faster, but I know which one sounds better;)

Ok in truth I can’t tell the difference between a Kemper and a valve amp, especially on an Apple HomePod, but I’d rather listen to a V8 than a lithium ion battery ;(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ll be honest I mess with the irig2hd and I wasn’t a believer. I’ll tell that thing is pretty damn close to the actual amps and effects. No latency nothing. It’s cool to have these pre sets by Joe and they’re very authentic to his sound. In the end there’s nothing like a real amp though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know that this marks me as old, and I know the end result is the same, but it just all seemed so much more ‘real’ back then than it does now with Kempers, Axe FX and digital recording on a Mac in the spare bedroom.

It’s a bit like a tuned classic muscle car versus a Tesla, the modern electric car is almost certainly faster, but I know which one sounds better;)

Ok in truth I can’t tell the difference between a Kemper and a valve amp, especially on an Apple HomePod, but I’d rather listen to a V8 than a lithium ion battery ;(
There is a recent interview where Satch talks about his last record where he is using plug-ins, praising how easy it is to get the tone that he wants, and regreting all the wasted time experimenting in the past with microphone positions and techniques to finnally compromise with a tone that was not fully satisfactory.

I would never swap my Axe-FX III to go back to miked amps at full throttle and refrigerators of effects. Neither live or at the studio. I am not nostalgic of these old times.

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
I would never swap my Axe-FX III to go back to miked amps at full throttle and refrigerators of effects. Neither live or at the studio. I am not nostalgic of these old times.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not nostalgic for having to wrestle to get tones out of gear. I adore the digital age in terms of tone and convenience.

I think I’m nostalgic for the apparent ‘magic’ of the studio, where only rockstars could go to make music only rock stars could make.

Nowadays Polyphia, Plini and Periphery can all make music I can only dream of making by sitting in their spare bedrooms, kind of like the magician spoiling the magic illusion by showing how the trick is done!

Which in turn just demonstrates my lack of talent and hard work ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a recent interview where Satch talks about his last record where he is using plug-ins, praising how easy it is to get the tone that he wants, and regreting all the wasted time experimenting in the past with microphone positions and techniques to finnally compromise with a tone that was not fully satisfactory.

The Axe-Fx III is probably the best right now on the market.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not nostalgic for having to wrestle to get tones out of gear. I adore the digital age in terms of tone and convenience.

I think I’m nostalgic for the apparent ‘magic’ of the studio, where only rockstars could go to make music only rock stars could make.

Nowadays Polyphia, Plini and Periphery can all make music I can only dream of making by sitting in their spare bedrooms, kind of like the magician spoiling the magic illusion by showing how the trick is done!

Which in turn just demonstrates my lack of talent and hard work ;)
I agree. The Amplitube thing is on fire now.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would never swap my Axe-FX III to go back to miked amps at full throttle and refrigerators of effects.
You keep your effects in the refrigerator? That is so cool... :p

I don't blame you for liking the Axe FX III... The tones people get out of that box are amazing. One of the best sounding guitars on the planet is Larry Mitchell's and he uses the Axe FX for everything. Been diggin his Tuesday night livestreams...

If I had a lot of extra money I'd love to have one too... but my talent is barely deserving of the meager gear I use to butcher classic songs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
these days shredders are a dime a dozen and dont raise too many eyebrows.... but Satch is no ordinary shredder.
people forget how big a deal it was when he broke out in the 80's. people crapped their pants. I know I did lmao

Satch Boogie and Summer Song blew peoples minds.
one thing about Satch....he can write songs

JS is somebody who can articulate so damn cleanly and concisely you knew he could play it over and over and nail it at any speed. backwards or forwards.

anyhow enjoyed your post just rambling ha ha

I also really enjoy the stories and anecdotes about him being a teacher

one time I read something where he ranked his top ten students all time and wouldnt reveal the name IIRC of one or two that he felt were probably better than him

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
these days shredders are a dime a dozen and dont raise too many eyebrows.... but Satch is no ordinary shredder.
people forget how big a deal it was when he broke out in the 80's. people crapped their pants. I know I did lmao

Satch Boogie and Summer Song blew peoples minds.
one thing about Satch....he can write songs

JS is somebody who can articulate so damn cleanly and concisely you knew he could play it over and over and nail it at any speed. backwards or forwards.

anyhow enjoyed your post just rambling ha ha

I also really enjoy the stories and anecdotes about him being a teacher

one time I read something where he ranked his top ten students all time and wouldnt reveal the name IIRC of one or two that he felt were probably better than him
Very true... I definitely remember when he came on to the scene! Changed my life, for sure... Played some songs off Surfing for my dad, who was a lifetime guitar player, sometimes professionally. He was not near as impressed as I was... lol. The studio video I posted above blew my mind, so professional. It would take me 50 tries to nail a particular "punch in" perfectly at speed. He did it so flawlessly in one shot and it ended up on the album.

I'm with you though, millions of people can shred up the guitar, but few can write interesting songs that tell a story and keep the listener from getting bored. Satriani is the top for me, dynomite player and master of the modes and how to use them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
something else I recall reading probably in the 90s or so he was responding to a question about how he stays motivated or whatever and he said something like "drinking coffee.....not drinking coffee.....just trying different stuff"

I thought that was cool and a nice approach to life in general.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Right or wrong, I feel a recording studio lends a certain level of credibility to the music making process that a spare bedroom can’t quite match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts