Ibanez JEM Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Only the exporting party needs to apply for the permit, CITES applications are dealt with in the exporting country, The seller will be applying for what is called a re-export permit to export the guitar into the US. I have spoke directly with CITES about this to confirm as we deal a lot with overseas buyers and needed to make sure and I have also contact the US gov who also confirmed that this is correct, that only the exporter requires the permit.

We have shipped a number of guitars to the US and Canada since the new rules came into force and not had any problems with the CITES permit

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Since you're in the US how are you shipping to the US?

The real question is how long did it take for the permit application take until you had the export permit in hand?

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
Only the exporting party needs to apply for the permit, CITES applications are dealt with in the exporting country, The seller will be applying for what is called a re-export permit to export the guitar into the US. I have spoke directly with CITES about this to confirm as we deal a lot with overseas buyers and needed to make sure and I have also contact the US gov who also confirmed that this is correct, that only the exporter requires the permit.

We have shipped a number of guitars to the US and Canada since the new rules came into force and not had any problems with the CITES permit
Unfortunately speaking with CITES isn't going to help in this case b cause they are not the ones enforcing the issue... it's policed by national authorities at the borders and governed by national laws.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Unfortunately speaking with CITES isn't going to help in this case b cause they are not the ones enforcing the issue... it's policed by national authorities at the borders and governed by national laws.
CITES is a treaty, not an enforcement agency, you're correct. CITES is managed by the US Fish & Wildlife Service in the US, but it's unclear if the enforcement of this particular aspect of it is managed by FWS or USDA APHIS (Animal Plant Health Inspection Service)?

Also bear in mind that the infrastructure associated with ports handling commercial shipping containers is completely different than that associated with individual private packages coming through airports.

EDIT: further reading

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...t/sa_permits/sa_plant_plant_products/sa_cites

·
Banned
67 Posts
Rex at ""SELL MY JEM IS A GREAT "JEM!
If you are looking to import a Rosewood fret boarded guitar from the UK he is the man you want yo contact. He has faster access to the permits needed and he is very accurate. There is a permit fee just email him he will get with you to get the ball rolling.
I thought it would be a nightmare with this new law and importing a rosewood fretboard but I was mistaken. Rex handled my permit with very detailed answers .He was prompt and very polite. Props ro Rex

81 - 87 of 87 Posts