Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My RG1570 has some intionation problems. It's bought in 2005 and I'm the second user. I'm going to replace the spring soon, but I also think the tremolo's (Edge Pro)knife edges have worn out. And as I don't live in the US, I find it hard to find any knife edges (tried googling around, but only found some literally knife related stuff, like the knives to cut bread or stab a person:lol:). Can anybody tell me, where could I get such things?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Your best bet is to contact Rich at www.Ibanezrules.com

I know he used to stock them but, but they've been discontinued for a long time (as far as I know)

Click the Ibanez Rules link above to go to Rich's sight. The part # you want is 47111A.

Ryc

Oop's I didn't notice that it's an edge-pro........ disregard the part#...it's the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Will never be available again, Japan refuses to allow their sale. You're replacing the trem.
Wow...that seriously sucks!!! any way to get them through Gotoh??

@Kot1k: Go to Rich's tech section and look at the worn knife edges tutorial..... He goes into great detail on how to renew the knives you already have........

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replacing a trem is not in my options, because I simply don't have the money for a new one ;). Sharpening seems a bit tricky on the other hand... Why would Ibanez do such a thing:sad: The problem with my trem is, that it doesn't return to its normal position after diving/pulling up. First I though replacing the springs might help (still hope so as I haven't replaced them yet), but when the problem is in the kinfe edges, I'm simply going to cry.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You could maybe bring the knife edges to a metal shop, and get them to sharpen them. First though, make sure the strings are stretched, the locking nut is not loose etc. Your problem might not be the knife edges.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Kot1k: you really need to post some pics of your knife edges before you do anything drastic..... I suspect that any work you need to do is very minimal. We all have guitars that are 15 years older than yours, and our knife edges are still useable. Please get your post count up to 10 and get some pics on here......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I have nothing to take the picture with:oops:Perhaps I could get a camera from a friend. Anyways I would need to take the tremolo off to get the picture right? Should I then keep the strings attached and just take off the springs (have read something about that, but somewhat scared to do that as bad things might happen:lol:)and take off the tremolo?
And btw I'm pretty sure everything's locked as tight as possible and I streched the strings after changing them:wink:

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
You can take it off with the strings attached, it should be fine. Done that plenty of times with no issues.

I highly doubt your knife edges are that far gone. Go and read Rich's tech articles again. The issue you described can often be fixed by lubing the knife edges/studs with chapstick. ;)

Sharpening isn't a major issue either. A small file and a steady hand will yield good results, taking your time. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read some things about the chapstick, but I believe they don't sell it here where I live. I have been wondering, will any moisurizing lipstick do the same trick?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
No, it's got to be the right sort of product. Do you have some sort of lip balm that is used to fix cracked lips, chapstick is a brand. I'm sure you'll have a comparable product in your country. :)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Which part is the stud? (insert guitarist joke here) But seriously, my '91 Jem777VBK just started coming out of tune when I pull on the bar. I'm wanting to try the chapstick fix first but have no idea what the "stud" is he says to lube up. WOW that sounds bad!

Incidentally, I'm going to try some chapstick on my Washburn nut as well.
Don't lube your nut.... you don't want any slippage. (OK, THAT sound worse...lol. but I mean it... don't lube your nut!!!!)

In the pic below (Thanks Rich) I've circled the stud. There's a V-shaped groove on the upper portion of the stud (I highlighted it) The knife edge rides in this groove (I also highlighted the knife edge) What you want to do is remove the trem and dab a tiny bit of chapstick (lip balm) at the place the knife edge makes contact with the stud. only a very small amount is needed, don't get crazy with it....... you'll have a mess for no good reason. Replace the trem and your good to go. :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you very much! Man I hope that's the problem.

I lubed the bridge and the contact points for the string-through-body of my Washburn with chapstick and it FINALLY stays in tune! I was jazzed when I bought it bec it had the Buzz Fetein and Grover tuners, figuring I was good to go. But after about 8 years the strings started to grab. I tried pencil lead, etc.. but nothing seemed to work. Apparently I needed to check my wife's purse for the solution!

Tomorrow I'm tearing apart my Jem to do what you said. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
You don't need to take it apart. Just loosen the locking screws in the studs, back the studs off a quarter turn, apply the chapstick to the V groove in the stud with a tooth pick. Then roll the studs back, and the chapstick will be in place. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I myself have cracked lips and use lip balm :smile: It's some Nivea product with olive and lemon. I think the same stick, but without those fruits would do:grin:?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
You don't need to take it apart. Just loosen the locking screws in the studs, back the studs off a quarter turn, apply the chapstick to the V groove in the stud with a tooth pick. Then roll the studs back, and the chapstick will be in place. ;)
I thought about this method, but I don't like turning the studs while the trem is still under tension.... just my preference though.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I thought about this method, but I don't like turning the studs while the trem is still under tension.... just my preference though.
Rich would debate that, but Kevan (Tremol-no guy) has a good compromise, just take the two outer springs off, that way you don't need to worry about tuning, I tried, and it returned perfectly! If it's a small adjustment of only 180*, i might not worry about it. just my opinion though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts