Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to what the view on the forum is on this? I have always strived for my dream guitars, and in that time have owned a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Gibson Les Paul Classic, a Fender Strat, a Kramer, and Moon Custom Built LP Special, a couple of Ibanez's including a Pink (yeah I know...) JEM, a Peavey Wolfgang, and my current squeeze...

... a MusicMan Axis.

In all that time, a copy, no matter how good, wouldn't suffice. The dream is the real thing. And my current dream is an Ibanez JEM7VWH. Not to replace my Axis mind, as I love that guitar, but rather to have in addition. I can't imagine having a copy of one instead. But I notice that many folk here seem to love the idea of building their own Jem-a-like. Is that a common thing, or the desire of a few.

·
Registered
221 Posts
For me (only, perhaps) a real jem :
- comes from the ibanez factory;
- use to be a jem but has been modified (cf the "burned jem" here : http://www.jemfest.com/mini/london/030208/pages/jemjam9.htm
- is a guitar that comes from one of those guys on top of this page (cf Simon "cerealk"'s guitar : http://www.jemfest.com/mini/london/030208/pages/02.htm (Simon I send you an email but you didn't answer it!!!) and has the same specification as a factory jem.
:twisted: A jem must have a monkey grip, some lion claws, hsh configuration to be a jem. :twisted:
That's my opinion only...
My dream guitar team looklike your's...
JS :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
My custom 'Jem' doesnt say Jem on it anywhere!!

It is an Ibanez Simon Wilkins model that happens to look like a blue swirled Jem77BMC ;)

To be honest I really dont care!!
It is a piece of wood, painted by the Ibanez swirl artist ATD, with an Ibanez neck, Ibanez electronics, Ibanez hardware and pickguard, and Dimarzio pickups, even Ibanez screws everywhere! and it goes in an Ibanez case!!

Mine doesnt have the same spec as any factory jem as the bodywood is mahogany.

Steve Vai has Universe guitars with 'Jem' on the headstock...what are those? :)

Simon
ps Js-sorry I forgot to reply!!! :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
it´s like the strat copies that a lot of custom builders make

if it smells like a strat, its seem like a strat and weight like a strat

F*CK

IT IS A STRAT

apply the same for the jem

·
Registered
112 Posts
Zero--
I have two of those MusicMan's but they have EVH on the headstock! :wink: Somehow they are not quite the same now :? ...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Interesting replies. I agree for the most part. Copies would just be guitars with Jem mods. For example: Q-Tip is a brand name and trademark while other brands are just other cotton swabs. Same goes for Jello. :wink:

The UV comment is interesting, too. Perhaps when the concept first came about, it was originally going to be a 7-string version of the Jem. I never heard much discussed about that aspect of its origin. That's another topic itself, though.

Mike 777 Haug

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You can call them JEMs until Ibanez gets pissy about the trade mark the way Fender did with the "Strat/Stratocaster" trade marks.

Then you'll have to cal lit an "offset double cutaway solidbody guitar with pointy horns, gaudy colours and superfluous body routing."

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
darren wilson said:
You can call them JEMs until Ibanez gets pissy about the trade mark the way Fender did with the "Strat/Stratocaster" trade marks.

Then you'll have to cal lit an "offset double cutaway solidbody guitar with pointy horns, gaudy colours and superfluous body routing."
or you can call them 'jem copies' :lol:

I find funny how the copies are named as if they were Ibanez models.....like Jem77BMC (Sorry to point, Simon, just the first that came to mind :wink: )

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
caprile said:
I find funny how the copies are named as if they were Ibanez models.....like Jem77BMC (Sorry to point, Simon, just the first that came to mind :wink: )
LOL :D
I thought I would classify it "officially" :wink: ....sort of... LOL :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
"I believe" only an Ibanez JEM is a JEM....but, if as a guitarist, you have different needs (scale lengeth, neck width, swirl, etc) then a custom jem would fit you better, and therefore, it would be a much more useful guitar. If you are going to "borrow attributes" from another guitar....what better place to start than the JEM/UV......thats what I did..... might as well steal the best ideas you can! :) (most of the licks I play are stolen too!!)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would say, there is no doubt if its not an true Ibanez Jem then its NOT a Jem. No matter how perfectly made to specs a copy is, it'll never be a true Jem.

That said, I wouldn't put down a Jem copy. I think it is very possible to have a copy be better than the actual.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
BrianH said:
I would say, there is no doubt if its not an true Ibanez Jem then its NOT a Jem. No matter how perfectly made to specs a copy is, it'll never be a true Jem.

That said, I wouldn't put down a Jem copy. I think it is very possible to have a copy be better than the actual.
lol. So what your saying is evo isnt a real jem?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have seen an add with Ibanez logo stickers to put on your headstock to make it look like a real Ibanez on Dutch ebay. If you put one of them stickers on your guitar, does that make it an Ibanez? NOPE

Same goes with custom made Jems. If I customize my RG it might look like a Jem, but it will never BE ONE.

If you want it that way you're just fooling yourself, most other people won't tell the difference though ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
BrianH said:

lol. So what your saying is evo isnt a real jem?
I don't know anything about evo, and I don't want my statement to include all the special made guitars for Steve himself, nor proto-types. Just that a copy isn't a Jem for the most part.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts