Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know....I'm in the process of building my 7. It's all painted so now I'm just doing some research into pickups, pickup configs...I've always bought guitars new and kept the stock p/u's in. Now since I'm building one, I'm gona get some Dimarzios (AN 7 neck, Blaze or D Activator for bridge). I've NEVER messed with my tone control, and I don't think I will with non-factory p/u's either. Why should I even bother hooking the damn thing up??? And another question....Could I do a H/ /S config..ya know, bridge hum, then just a single in the neck position, that way I could eliminate the tone pot as well as the 5-way selector and just put in a push/push or push/pull volume???? Any thoughts on that??? The only downside would be having to repaint the front of my guitar....To me though, it's no biggie. If the H/ /S config would work...anyone got a wiring diagram?? I suck at wiring these things...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It's definitely possible and if you want to do away with the tone control, go for it. If it works for EVH, why can't it work for your own purposes?

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
754 Posts
you can definitely omit the tone knob if you so desire. the only thing is it will make your tone a bit brighter (someone smarter than me can explain why this occurs, but it's true).

and by h/ /s do you mean a blank spot in the center? that's been done too, allows for that cool sound when you rapidly change your selector from sustaining pickup to the dead sound in the center position. ace frehley did that a lot.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've done it on the guitar I use for band practice. It's a very beat up 570 (too many kids at our practice house, I'd be stupid to bring a nice looking guitar), with a volume and a mini switch to switch from Bridge(hum) to Neck (single). I never use the tone pot really anyway, just the volume to get different tones.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
you can definitely omit the tone knob if you so desire. the only thing is it will make your tone a bit brighter (someone smarter than me can explain why this occurs, but it's true).
It's because the tone control is never truly 100% off - on a strat it's only 250k off at best, so there is still a minimal amount of treble leakage to ground.

As an aside, I added a push-pull pot to my Strat to bypass all the pots and send the switch straight to the output socket - I'll be darned if I can hear any extra output or brightness in this setting over the normal vol/tone setup!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

and by h/ /s do you mean a blank spot in the center? that's been done too, allows for that cool sound when you rapidly change your selector from sustaining pickup to the dead sound in the center position. ace frehley did that a lot.
Yes, that's what I meant a hum at the bridge, and just a single at the neck. Then i just figured I could use a push/pull pot to switch between the two pickups. It was just an idea I had...I don't like all those knobs and garbage, I think it breaks up the look. Not sure how I would do that type of wiring since I'm new to guitar wiring. It would be easy to fill in the cavity at the neck to fit a single. I just have to sand things back down to do the fill work...Any wire guru can chime in if you can whip up a diagram for me!! (I know that's asking a bit much!)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yes, that's what I meant a hum at the bridge, and just a single at the neck. Then i just figured I could use a push/pull pot to switch between the two pickups. It was just an idea I had...I don't like all those knobs and garbage, I think it breaks up the look. Not sure how I would do that type of wiring since I'm new to guitar wiring. It would be easy to fill in the cavity at the neck to fit a single. I just have to sand things back down to do the fill work...Any wire guru can chime in if you can whip up a diagram for me!! (I know that's asking a bit much!)
The only sound you are likely to miss out on using just a push/pull knob is the rather cool neck and bridge pickup together, which, with a bit of jiggery pokery you could arrange to be split bridge/single coil neck reverse wound reverse polarity so that it is hum cancelling - just a thought.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

that'll do it - you are looking side on at a standard DPDT push pull pot as per StewMac, Dimarzio etc - they all seem to be identical, so just get the cheapest one.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I removed the tone pot completely from one of my RG's. On another, I had a custom pickguard made, left the tone knob on 10 and hid it under the guard. Hate tone pots. They are no use to me, I like simplicity. 1 x volume, 1 x pickup selector.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a couple of guitars where I took the tone pot and wired it to roll off one coil of the bridge humbucker. Some nice tones in the sweep between full HB and single coil.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow guys! Some truely great ideas for me to kick around....Thank you David for the quick schematic on the p/p pot, I really appreciate it. "Earth" I take to mean "ground"? Now I've got plenty to do while I wait for a 7-string neck to come up available. Before I started building this.....I found 7-string necks all over the place....Now that I need one...NONE....not anywhere. I'm holding off on placing an order with C.W until necessary. The only benefit to a custom neck is I'll get my maple fretboard I want so desperately.....

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm no fan of the tone knob either, since I don't use it and I always have a wah pedal which is the same function, just with more extremes.

But the pickup will be brighter without that 250k ohm resistance. That could be a really good thing or a slightly annoying thing. So I recommend that you test the pickups (if you can before it's too late in the guitars construction) without a tone knob and see if you still like the sound.

I'm going to try and build a RR V type Warmoth and I'm looking to omit the tone knob too.

I just need to get the cash.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I only ever really mess around with the tone knob. It's no problem that's there for me. I think I'd probably rather get rid of the volume knob, because I rarely use that.

But it looks and sounds fine to bypass one (judging by the amount of superstrats that don't have one) so go for it!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I only ever really mess around with the tone knob. It's no problem that's there for me. I think I'd probably rather get rid of the volume knob, because I rarely use that.

But it looks and sounds fine to bypass one (judging by the amount of superstrats that don't have one) so go for it!
Really? I find i can change my tone more (for the better anyway) by messin' with the volume. Oh well, everyone's got's thier own methods.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sure, It can be omitted.

You can always install a pot, adjust so that you like the tone, measure the resistance over the pot and install a resistor that somes close to the measured value.
So, no pot, but adjusted tone ( albeit fixed )

Keep in mind that a push pull pot is not always the fastest way of switching. It's not "flick-able" like a switch.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, but a push/push pot is. Besides, I'm not in a band, never will be. I record my own stuff within the confines of my own home. I really don't need the "fastest" way to switch between my hum and neck p/u, nor do I need it to be smooth....I could care less....I just know that in playing my guitar(s) for the past 28 years, ....this is for certain......The tone knob has never moved on any of my guitars! That tells me that it's time to eliminate it on this guitar.
What I'll probably end up doing is keeping the pickup config H/H, eliminating the tone pot, and going to a 3-way switch, with a push/push pot for the split. I'll do the H/S config on my next 7! Since this project has driven my wife so batty....i plan on doing it every year!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Note that Mattias Eklundh has exactly this setup on his Caparison Applehorn guitars. No tone knob, no pickup selector, just a volume pot with push/push to swap between the rear humbucker and neck single. (Although his single is really a single sized humbucker, which is what I'd use here anyway for balance.)

I tried this setup on a Caparison a couple of weeks ago. I didn't find it all that intuitive for quick changes, and perhaps a bit noisy (the cla-clunk of the push/push comes right through the body and was audible on the amp) but if you've seen Mattias play you'll know he manages just fine (okay, better than fine) so it must be a case of getting used to it. The simplicity is definitely appealing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
No, but a push/push pot is. Besides, I'm not in a band, never will be. I record my own stuff within the confines of my own home. I really don't need the "fastest" way to switch between my hum and neck p/u, nor do I need it to be smooth....I could care less....I just know that in playing my guitar(s) for the past 28 years, ....this is for certain......The tone knob has never moved on any of my guitars! That tells me that it's time to eliminate it on this guitar.
What I'll probably end up doing is keeping the pickup config H/H, eliminating the tone pot, and going to a 3-way switch, with a push/push pot for the split. I'll do the H/S config on my next 7! Since this project has driven my wife so batty....i plan on doing it every year!!!
Indeed in that case, you are right.

I misread previous posts on the push/push pot,... I never got farther than push/pu.... :D

Have you considered a Petrucci style switching scheme ( without tone pot )?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts