Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really did not expect to get the range of tone from my Jem. I've found the neck pickup to be fat, almost Santana like with the right amp setting. I would never have thought I could get that tone from a ceramic magnet neck pickup. The cleans with it are awesome as well, very full sounding. Has that pickup impressed anyone else?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Thrash said:
I really did not expect to get the range of tone from my Jem. I've found the neck pickup to be fat, almost Santana like with the right amp setting. I would never have thought I could get that tone from a ceramic magnet neck pickup. The cleans with it are awesome as well, very full sounding. Has that pickup impressed anyone else?
The humbuckers are very good but I find the single coil to weak and to noisy.

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Thrash said:
I assume a 7vwh.

I've hated the sound of most ceramic magnet pickups for a long time - I was at the point where I thought I would never be able to find one that sounds good without a lot of gain.

Then I played the 7vwh that I bought... the Evolutions sound completely different. It's tonal characteristics are clean, smooth and loud where typically ceramics are loud and their cleans sound almost like there is a short in the cable or amp somewhere. They also have a real warm sound through my JCM 900 SL-X.

The single coil in the middle gives me many great clean tones too. I like using the neck and the middle pickups for clean rhythms. I set my amp so it is barely overdriving, and then when I use the neck or bridge pickups it will be a bit louder and OD kicks in which is a great solo tone.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i fell in love with my 7VWH immediately as well. i plan to try the Evo II if i can find it in white to replace the stock Evo due to almost tooo high of an output.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those of us not impressed by single coils might i reccomend the Megaswith E-switch. It is a 5 way swith but in position 3 it actually accesses the outer two pickups and not the single coil. Pretty cool. All my guitars have it. Joshua

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.