Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local sam ash store. They have a wall of guitars the cheap models on one side. On the other side they have the expensive guitars, prestiges, gibsons etc.... This wall is blocked off with a velvet rope. Usually when i want to try out a guitar the guys trust me to go and pick one up and play it cause im real careful with it. I picked up this rg2570 cause i was going to try out the EVH Phaser. Anyway when i was done i went to go put it back onto the wall mount. I guess I must have not put the headstock onto the wall mount correct, kind of to the side and I guess these wall mounts rotate easy and unfortuanetly the guitar took a 5 foot drop to the floor. The guitar seemed fine and intact. Now my question is can they come after me for any damages that might have been incurred? I mean it was an accident, completely unintentional. RAI would you have any input on this or anyone? The manager after made a lecture to the workers that the workers themselves have to put the guitars up and bring them down. They wont even let people play them unless they think they really want to buy one. Which sucks. What if I just want to get a feel for the guitar.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Well i would say two things. You have to look at it from their point of view if it falls and breaks because you put it up wrong it is in a lot of ways your fault, but I must say I prefer sittin stands to the hanging type. It seems to be hard on the neck supporting them like that, and Ive seen quite a few headstock chips due to stands of that design. Second its not your fault if they had people who really gave a crap working in their stores they would have asked you you need any help with anything, and would have gotten the guitar down and hooked everything up for you in the first place.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
The manager's reaction is not surprising. They'd fire and employee before doing anything to you as that would instantly remove you as a customer. Business 101. You are "responsible" but the store is at fault in two ways ultimately makes it their problem and cost to bear.

They failed to assist you, which would have eliminated this problem. By doing so, they also put you or other shoppers at risk of bodily harm. For example what if the guitar bumped something on the way down and the heastock cought you and scratched your eye or fell and broke your toe >>>> LITIGATION! The store needs to protect the customer from itself... glen

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It's an accident. They won't come after you to pay them for the damage. Hell, after going through their NYC shop, it looked like almost every one of their Prestige's had taken a fall off the wall. (I didn't notice any "damaged stock" prices on them, either - I even saw them trying to sell the EXACT same guitars with the huge chunks missing for sale on THAT auction site a little while ago, for darn near the new price.)

Anyway, I'm sure the store has insurance for that if they want to collect, but more than likely they budget for demo merchandise losses as a part of doing business with humans.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Now, just for fun, let's look at it another way. What if he was at your house, played your guitar, hung it up (yes, you're using the wall hangers just for the sake of argument) and it dropped to the floor and was damaged? OOOPS! Is everybody still as forgiving as they seem to be with the store's guitar?

Disclaimer: I'm not making a statement on his liability, just taking the opportunity to be a smartarse.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Hobophobic said:
Now, just for fun, let's look at it another way. What if he was at your house, played your guitar, hung it up (yes, you're using the wall hangers just for the sake of argument) and it dropped to the floor and was damaged? OOOPS! Is everybody still as forgiving as they seem to be with the store's guitar?

Disclaimer: I'm not making a statement on his liability, just taking the opportunity to be a smartarse.
If it were my guitar, and I was fully insured, it wouldn't be as big a problem as if I were uninsured.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.