Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Japanese Ibanez RX 180 but with paint cracks on all edges. I think this is veneer only. Is it okay to repaint? Is it true that resoncast wood tends to expand from time to time due to changes of weather that causes paint crack?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got Japanese Ibanez RX 180 but with paint cracks on all edges. I think this is veneer only. Is it okay to repaint? Is it true that resoncast wood tends to expand from time to time due to changes of weather that causes paint crack?
Resoncast is like MDF, it is incredibly dry and therefore absorbs moisture very easily so it swells slightly in humid conditions causing the cracking you describe.

There is no cure for it, if you repaint it will just crack again, you could replace the resoncast body with a solid wooden body instead if you want a permanent fix.

This has happened because you live in the Philippines where humidity can get very high indeed, in theory if the entire body is properly painted and sealed so no moisture can be absorbed then it shouldn't happen, in practice this is difficult to do in the neck pocket and body cavities.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resoncast is like MDF, it is incredibly dry and therefore absorbs moisture very easily so it swells slightly in humid conditions causing the cracking you describe.

There is no cure for it, if you repaint it will just crack again, you could replace the resoncast body with a solid wooden body instead if you want a permanent fix.

This has happened because you live in the Philippines where humidity can get very high indeed, in theory if the entire body is properly painted and sealed so no moisture can be absorbed then it shouldn't happen, in practice this is difficult to do in the neck pocket and body cavities.
Thanks for the advice! Ill request to luthier shop to duplicate the body in a solid wood. Have a nice day ahead!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.