Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original edge bridge

The guitar stays in tune fine. No issues at all.

I read that the knife edges are not supposed to be parallel with the body, but more in an angle. Mine are in an angle. Not sure if is correct.

This is how my previous tech set it up. The only thing I did to it, was to remove the springs to lift the bridge just enough to put some chapstick on the knife edges and posts, then I put the springs back again. I didn't have any tuning issues after I did this. I checked the knife edges too and they were fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it look fine on the photos?

I read that Vai likes his bridge a bit raised too. I don’t know why.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does it look fine on the photos?

I read that Vai likes his bridge a bit raised too. I don't know why.
None of your reference photos necessarily capture the precise view you need to judge. (But maybe you knew that when you posted them, LOL).

Nonetheless, in my unscientific opinion, it looks to me like the bridge is leaning too far towards the fret board. I.e. tighten up the screws to pull it back ever so slightly. But then again you have to account for your truss rod, intonation, action, etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None of your reference photos necessarily capture the precise view you need to judge. (But maybe you knew that when you posted them, LOL).

Nonetheless, in my unscientific opinion, it looks to me like the bridge is leaning too far towards the fret board. I.e. tighten up the screws to pull it back ever so slightly. But then again you have to account for your truss rod, intonation, action, etc.
I didn't know why I take as many photos as possible

Doesn't Vai has his bridge raise like this too? That's what I read

I mean I don't have any issues with tuning stability with the bridge like this.

I don't think the edge tremolo is supposed to be parallel like other models. I read Rich site says that the edgd bridge knife edges have to at a 90 degree angle or something

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I flat out think that your bridge position is "wrong" compared to the typical ideal set up.

Go here... https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm and compare what yours looks like as opposed to one that Rich has set up looks like. When I've finished with them, mine all look like the one that Rich has done on purpose.
Ive looked at that before. That's the edge pro

If you go the edge, is tilted upwards and the knife edges on rich photos are also raised when in relation to the posts, they are not parallel. If you read his description, it says knife edges have to angled 90 degrees. I read this somewhere on his page

Anyway, if my setup is wrong, how come my guitar stays in tune fine?

I haven't had tune this thing in like 3 weeks since I figured out how to tune properly and bought the stretcha tool which is a godsend to properly stretch strings

after I put chapstick on the knife edges and posts, it improved the tuning stability too

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bridge does look like it's tilted slightly forward. I would tighten the spring a tad.

As to your comment
There is some tolerance in these systems. The bridge can be tilted too far forward, level, or too far back and still keep in tune. Not radically tilted but a little shouldn't cause tuning issues.

Also, if it finally is staying in tune, why are you still asking and arguing?

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
90* is called perpendicular. Your bridge is way too far forward, there's nothing slight about it. If you like it like that who are we to care, set it wherever you want. But good luck keeping the same action because the slightest bit of trem angle affects action a great deal. And throw the string stretcha away, it's junk. It turns your strings into waves when you fully slack them in a dive.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
90* is called perpendicular. Your bridge is way too far forward, there's nothing slight about it. If you like it like that who are we to care, set it wherever you want. But good luck keeping the same action because the slightest bit of trem angle affects action a great deal. And throw the string stretcha away, it's junk. It turns your strings into waves when you fully slack them in a dive.
So what should I do?

I don't care if the action changes a little. Should I just tighten the screws a quarter turn?

I don't know much about this but I trust your advice, rich.

So if I screw the screws a 1/4 turn, would this raise or lower the action?

What do you think of the tremblock?

If you instal a tremolo stabilizer such as the ESP arming adjuster. Once is installed, can i screw and unscrew the screws at the claw to raise or lower the bridge?

Or would I have remove the stabilizer or release the tension of it to adjust the screws at the claw?

In other words, once the ESP adjuster is set, if I ever want to raise or lower the bridge with screws, can this still be done?

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Ive looked at that before. That's the edge pro

If you go the edge, is tilted upwards and the knife edges on rich photos are also raised when in relation to the posts, they are not parallel. If you read his description, it says knife edges have to angled 90 degrees. I read this somewhere on his page

I haven't had tune this thing in like 3 weeks since I figured out how to tune properly.
As I said in the other thread, please start to take the advice that you receive with a little more openness. There are many folks here who have literally forgotten more about setting up these guitars than you know at this point. Look at the photos again, look in detail, note the differences and, if you feel able, make the changes. EVERYTHING you need to know is on Rich's site. The link is there, the photos of your trem are there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to know if once the ESP arming adjuster is installed, if the bridge height then can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the screws without any issues or would the stabilizer affect this

·
Registered
470 Posts
Haven't read all the posts so forgive, but yes your bridge angle is way off and leaning forward far too much. It should be level, the knife edge itself as seen from the side.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't read all the posts so forgive, but yes your bridge angle is way off and leaning forward far too much. It should be level, the knife edge itself as seen from the side.
that's how the tech set it up. I found another tech but I'm not sure about him yet.

So how do I correct this. Just tighten the screws a little until is more level

This tech lowered the action on my guitar and I think when he did that, he lifted the bridge or something.

That's the problem you don't know if a tech has experience with these Ibanez trems. If he had, he should've known that the height is not correct. I suspected but wasn't sure

If he didn't know, how am I supposed to know, just a noob, but I don't have any tuning issues now.

I just wanted to know if I install the ESP stabilizer which is similar to Ibanex backstop, once that is on the guitar, can I still adjust the trem height with screws or would the stabilizer interfere with that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no one has responded to my question if bridge height can be adjusted after installing the ESP arming adjuster or Ibanez backstop

·
Registered
470 Posts
no one has responded to my question if bridge height can be adjusted after installing the ESP arming adjuster or Ibanez backstop
Why would a backstop prevent you from setting up the guitar? Of course it can still be adjusted. Either way you should setup your guitar properly first before looking for gadgets to band-aid a problem they weren't designed to fix to begin with. There are a million videos and written guides online to setup a Floyd Rose, just do it yourself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why would a backstop prevent you from setting up the guitar? Of course it can still be adjusted. Either way you should setup your guitar properly first before looking for gadgets to band-aid a problem they weren't designed to fix to begin with. There are a million videos and written guides online to setup a Floyd Rose, just do it yourself.
well technically if you look at my bridge, is raised too much as you said, though I don't have issues with tuning. I don't have any issues with my trem, I just wanted to try the stabilizer and see if i like it or not, worse case, i just remove it

now, the ESP arming adjuster is the backstop, you have to install it against the block with the screw of the stabilizer all the way tight

once that is set, that supposedly creates the zero point, then you can adjust the stabilizer wrench to make it softer

If I install, the stabilizer with the bridge this way and then I lower the bridge, wouldn't this throw off the stabilizer installation?

as when you lower the bridge, wouldn't this change the position of the block?

That's what I don't understand. I'm trying to figure out if is possible for me to lower the bridge to parallel after installing the stabilizer with the bridge as it shows in my photos

this guy here says the bridge needs to be set perfectly parallel before installing the stabilizer

basically, when you have the stabilizer adjusted all the way up, it blocks the trem, then you can adjust softer, so the block can move again, so technically, by adjusting it softer

I should be able to then adjust the bridge and then adjust the stabilizer again to where I want it

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
If your trem angle is "wrong" then it's likely the block will not be perpendicular to the plane that the ESP arming adjust runs in. Therefore, if the block is set at an "angle", NO, you won't be able to lower the bridge without it affecting the overall tuning because the arming adjuster will push against the block in increasing amounts as the bridge is lowered.

That's probably another reason your previous tech decided he would "waste a week of your time" by advising you not to install it and refusing to do the work!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.