Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would love to see a pic of the back of the guitar, neck and headstock. The bridge is for sure not an edge. It looks like one they put on a Jem Junior. The mounting holes for the nut May tell a story as well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bridge is the most obvious on every fake, but the pickups too are obvious with the pole pieces extruding from the top of the plastic as is typical from Dimarzio fakes, the pole pieces on the single coil should be staggered but they look flat. Then look at the nut, in particular the retainer is wrong, overly large and low quality screws too. Looking at the headstock in more detail it seems slightly too large/wide, the black part of the logo should extend to the end of the headstock and it doesn't.

The edge of the lower horn on the body looks like it's too rounded too, Ibanez has quite a sharp lower horn on RG/Jem bodies. Usually the most absolute way to spot a fake though is to look at the neck and headstock construction at the back of the neck, Ibanez has very specific and consistent ways it builds neck and the details you can spot a mile off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bridge is the most obvious on every fake, but the pickups too are obvious with the pole pieces extruding from the top of the plastic as is typical from Dimarzio fakes, the pole pieces on the single coil should be staggered but they look flat. Then look at the nut, in particular the retainer is wrong, overly large and low quality screws too. Looking at the headstock in more detail it seems slightly too large/wide, the black part of the logo should extend to the end of the headstock and it doesn't.

The edge of the lower horn on the body looks like it's too rounded too, Ibanez has quite a sharp lower horn on RG/Jem bodies. Usually the most absolute way to spot a fake though is to look at the neck and headstock construction at the back of the neck, Ibanez has very specific and consistent ways it builds neck and the details you can spot a mile off.
Thanks for that additional input, i knew the basic things to look out for in Ibanez fakes but i didnt realise there was such a hefty list.

Hope OP didnt pay over the odds...:(

·
Registered
843 Posts
Fake indeed, sadly. Usually, the most obvious giveaways on are the trem and monkey grip shape (and colour on the SK, DY and LNG). With the nut, fakes tend to have wider spaced mounting bolts, from what I've seen.

A real 1999 VWH here. Aside from what's been said, note the 'bump' by the upper cutaway where it joins the neck, a notable feature of real RGs/Jems with an aanj; 'eyelets' at the top of the humbucker bobbins; pickguard shape; lower horn shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts