Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have only been playing the guitar for about 8 months but the sound of my guitar really effects my passion to play and i have gotten used to acceptable tube amps by playing with my guitar teachers amps and like that sound. i am not rich and cant afford something incredible neither am i good enough where an investment like that would be worth it as i am not doing anything professional or even in a band just to satisfy my self. but i dont want to go buy something that wont be useful in the future. right now i own a peice of **** fender frontman 15r that sounds so bad it drives me away from my guitar. i dont own any pedals or effects or anything but i do own a nice 1995 rg570ct ibanez guitar. and originally bought it because i loved its tone. i have been looking at amps in the 350-500 dollor range. and right now the peavey vypyr tube 60 is looking really cool because its got a lot of choices that lets me really be creative with my tone when playing the guitar which will let me sound very much like the people i am trying to sound like when i play or what ever i feal like at the moment. but i dont want something thats really in the end just another crappy amp like a line 6 or some other solid state. i want something that will not sound like a toy and really have that professional tube amplifier feel mainly. please dont put this amp down if you have never used it. but i am curious if this tube version is actually respectable in quality and actually sounds like a decent tube amp or if it falls under the category with most modeling solidstate amps? i am curious if this amp will be in the future a respectable amp for me to use with a band or gig with or any sort of performance in the future? i can understand its only 60 watts so probably nothing really big unless mic'd up really well? but if respectable for starting out in the future and more then respectable realistic tube grade tone?

anything after here is optional to read its kinda repetitive and in excessive detail i got carried away but the above is my main point and question

it does not need to actually sound like the amps it models but at least sound like high quality tube amp that a audiophile like me and other guitar players who play at a high end level would respect. also keep in mind i am specifically wanting it to sound like a good quality tube amp and i doubt any only transtube amp thats really mostly still solid state will sound really that close so thats why i am specifically asking about the tube versions of the vypyr the tube 60 and 120 versions because if anything will sound close it will pretty much need to almost be the real thing. the only thing holding me back is if the solidstate hybrid preamp with one tube which is really just a buffer part that a lot of modeling companies are doing but like line 6 and vox but peavey's version is called transtube in these amps really are acceptable or even ruin the tube vypyr versions from sounding like a tube amp even though these are the first modeling amps that i have seen with real tube amplifier and tubes in the stage amp in the tube version of the vypyr's.

so to summarize my paragagraph above basically any one who has actually played on the tube versions of the the vypyr specifically tube 60 watt or 120 please tell me if it actually sounded good like a real tube amp and would be a good acceptable fit for where i am and even possibly for the future if i ever want to join a new band or gig some time when i get better and will sound decent and have good quality tone. i am an audiophile. so i really am very picky about tone once i get used to something and i have gotten used to some decent tube amps playing with my techer but i cant afford anything out side of the 350-500 range. i really leaning towards wanting something i can use in the future with a band or gig also so please dont recomend a small wattage like 15 watt or less tube amp that does not have many features because i wont be able to use it for a band practice or giging unless you really have tried out this vypyr tube amp model and are sure it sounds like ****. and the last thing i am really worried about is how confusing it will be to operate this thing. i like a lot of features and i am a computer science major so if its capable of producing great sounds i will figure out how to make it do it no matter how complictated it is if i have to reprogram or rebuild it. i am just curious if you think its capable of sounding good no matter how long it takes to tweak it right. personally i expect i wont have to do to much except play around and really tweak it to what i am fealing but i will be looking forward to that. i am the kind of person who loves to play around with my options.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Please break all that up into more paragraphs please, I cannot read it properly in such a big block.

If I am getting the gist of what you are asking, for starters, if you are just playing at home 60 watts is way too powerful a tube amp. You will never get the tubes really singing at bedroom levels.

60 Watts once you are playing with a band is still going to be tonnes of volume. Seriously a 15-20 watt valve amp will be more than enough. Will be decent at home levels, and sound great for band scenarios too. ;)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
What's good for one person, may not be for another. When investing any amount of money for any type of gear, it's best if you just visit some music stores to try out everything that appeals to you. Take your own guitar along, so you know exactly what the end result will sound like. Take your time, and don't rush into any sale, unless you find an amp that just blows your socks off. Don't let any sales clerk influence your decision, and the same goes for anyone else--your guitar, your amp, your ears, your decision!
And on a helpful sidenote, there are nice little tabbed links at the top of every page here for REVIEWS and comparison shopping--if you really feel you need some opinions on gear, you might want to take a stroll through them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well i have taken my guitar and done that but only for a few minutes i did not get enough time to even figure out enough with all the amps features to get exactly what i wanted but it really did surprise me and sounded great just could not model it to what i was looking for in that time i barely figured out what nob does what lol. my main reason for asking this is i have not played on a tube amp for about a month and curious if someone could tell me if it actually sounds like a tube amp or as crappy as my frontman 15 r. when i first played it the settings they had it on was just as bad lol and was not hard to make it sound like my fender frontman 15 r but with a little tweaks i got it to sound really warm and bluesy which i could never do with my amp and got it to sound some what nice but i was looking for a sound kinda like what slashes guitar sounds like in ghost but did not find it. but i can only imagine i should be able to find that on that amp right? other wise it seemed very versitile but on some parts when it was clean it felt very tubeishy and when i did some very dirty stuff it felt like a really overdriven solidstate and with a little tweaking kinda what i think would be tube quality all i know is it sounded a lot warmer and better then my frontman with the right tweaks sometimes but i only played it for 5 minute and sadly did not have a pick with me because i am a fool so could not test out its response when i really dug in and checked out the harmonics and stuff. i am curious if anyone has played it for longer and can reassure me its not an amp i should skip and give it a more through look?

also lone phantom the 60 watt is the lowest tube amp they make for vypyrs and i am well aware 15 watts is all i need as my solid state 15 watt at level 2 of 10 fills my room but i am hoping there knob that is called some wattage sponge technology which is supposed to let the amp overall sound. sound quieter but still be able to crank the master tubes and get that nice tube feel at low volumes. i assume its the same thing as a power attenuator or simular. if not and there trying to reinvent the wheel i hope it works other wise your right 60 watts will be enourmous and suck in my scenario.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought a Vypyr 30 and I think it is a killer amp for the price. I used it at band practice and just put a mic in front of it and it was great...the 6505 setting was killer...I am willing to bet that the 60 would be even better. The only concerns I've heard about the Vypyrs is possible reliability issues but when I bought mine it came with a 5 year warranty, which I thought was pretty good - and I havent had any problems. Much better than Line 6 amps I tried. I would buy it - I think that the Peavey Vypyrs are the best amps out there in that price range...IMHO.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
As an owner of both a Mesa and a Peavey Tube Vypyr 60...yes; it is an excellent amp.

I have now since played with different tubes in it and it DOES make a difference, especially in the high gain settings, and the clean settings. Just as a good tube amp should.

To truly unlock its full potential though, you need the Sanpera II footswitch though.

You can read my full review here:

http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guit...e-60-60w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp-black/reviews/

·
Registered
879 Posts
I second the friendly suggestion, you might want to put some more paragraph breaks in your posts. Even your second post is a mild level of murder on the eyes. Even if it looks odd on your particular monitor, I'd do it maybe every 5 sentences. :)

Anyway, I have the cheepiest of the cheepiest model, the 15 watt 1x10 and it is certainly worth the the $100 I paid for it. Can't go wrong with those Vypyrs IMO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry let me hack down at that essay above lol. basically i think the first five sentences say everything and the rest was just me getting carried away. but i am glad others are telling me its a good. amp and to the one who said he got it with a five year warranty. they come with a 5 year warranty as long as you fill out the registration form and send it back other wise you have a 2 year warranty. either way pretty decent and i have heard software wise there are a few finiky simptoms on some firmwares and some are better then others but very minor problems like when turning it on or random cut outs due to a button you hit. but the newer firmwares are making that very rare like once a month or many not at all. and personally i am fine with that i am used to dealling with nvidia graphics cards that every day comes out with a new driver and needs to be updated to run a game. so if it sounds great that is the least of my worries.

and i am glad to hear it can be used on stage too the tube 60 will probably be what i get next weekend when i have the money i am going to try it out unless it some how seriously sounds awful for no explained reason to me i am probably going to get it thank you all

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
1) Firmware issues: While we haven't updated our band's Vypyr, it did get "glitchy" once or twice. Turning it off and on fixed it. Not a big deal. I assumed updated the firmware would change the tone, and we liked the tone. The JSX setting is more "lead like" and the 6505 setting is more "rhythm" like for the hardcore metal tones. Its 100% badass though, IMO. With good ears and some patience it's not terribly hard to dial in.

2) Reliability and stage use: The Vypyr tube 60 is plenty loud for any use you can throw at it, and with the extra 8 ohm jack it has any kind of live use you can imagine. We use ours to drive an extra 4x12 for live. All alone it's still really loud for against a drummer, but the 60 watts is still more than enough for full half-stack power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts