Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really particular question. I have two strats. One of them has a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge, while the other one has a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge. I love both of those pickups and would like to know if there was either a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickup that would be a hybrid of the two. I am looking for something with the very present, tight bass response of the Invader, but with the searing, throaty top end high mids of the Distortion. I was looking at the tone comparison chart on seymourduncan.com and notice that the EQ for each pickup was as follows:

Duncan Distortion (B/M/T): 5/8/9
Duncan Invader (B/M/T): 7/8/4
Both have ceramic magnets.

So that makes the EQ of what I'm looking for in the ballpark of 6/8/6.5
I am looking to put this into an alder strat that I'm building and I play typically thrash, death, classic metal. Can anyone please help?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi!

I have a suggestions, since you are so specific about your pickups choice and seem to have ears to back it up (great to read that someone listens that closely). My suggestion are to change guitars with the two pickups, move them to the other guitar to get a picture of what you are thinking then. The reason for this is to avoid chasing ghosts, meaning that the sound features you describe now might be in the guitar instead of the pickups.
The present, tight bass response might be from the guitar, so you get that even with the other pickup (and meybe loose the searing, throaty top end high mids that you think it has now).

I would really recommend doing this before you go hunting, because what you hunt for might end up different from what you want now.

And also, build the new guitar, try it with the pickups you have now and then say "i want the bla bla from the invader but less this and that and this from the distortion but less of that". Then you will be able to do a really good pickup selection.
Now it will only be random guessing.

What I'm saying are, one pickup might sound completely different in two different guitars (even if the guitar are the exact same model).

Good luck no mater what.

/Magnus

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The patb sounds like a good choice. But it has a fairly high DC Resistance. Would that make it dark sounding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With some research, I've found two pickups that would suit my needs and would be of the approximate EQ. Those are the DiMarzio Evo 2 (6/7.5/6) and the Steve Morse model (5/7/6.5). Both have ceramic magnets. I would appreciate anyone with experience with either one of these pickups to tell me more about these. Would either one be good for heavy metal, super tight palm mutes and cutting but not piercing leads?

·
Registered
781 Posts
With some research, I've found two pickups that would suit my needs and would be of the approximate EQ. Those are the DiMarzio Evo 2 (6/7.5/6) and the Steve Morse model (5/7/6.5). Both have ceramic magnets. I would appreciate anyone with experience with either one of these pickups to tell me more about these. Would either one be good for heavy metal, super tight palm mutes and cutting but not piercing leads?
You can't compare DiMarzio values to Duncans, they are measured differently.

Steve Morse would be the best for what your looking for of those two.

/Magnus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts