Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on here for many years. It seems like traffic has all but ceased on most of the topics. I'd think for one of the hugest guitar manufacturers that there'd be a fairly robust forum. Is there a different one people are on or somewhere else you get you Ibanez group info from??

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
On life support. Other forums still seem to be doing well still but evidently much Ibanez participation has gone to Facebook groups.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On life support. Other forums still seem to be doing well still but evidently much Ibanez participation has gone to Facebook groups.
Dang. I guess that makes sense though. This has always been a more JEMcentric forum which is a fairly small percent of the Ibanez world and most manufacturers of various products are participating on the FB groups.

Any suggestions?

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
This was always the strongest general Ibanez presence of any forum, including their own. Not sure it still exists but Ibanez had their own. As for the FB grounds I don't even have a personal account much less a biz account but I'm sure it wouldn't take much searching to find them.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Jemsite may not be the most lively corner of the internet, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is knowledge here you can not find anywhere else. You have a point though, it could use some new "energy."

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
By my count there have been 18 posts here today, against 21 there. Not like that's a beehive of activity either, but it is more active. 8 of those 18 were this thread ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I registered today after looking at the threads for years.

Main reason is that I am considering to sell my JCRG Art-1. Rich, any thoughts on this, should I go locally or do you have some customers waiting for one?
Thanks
Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I registered today after looking at the threads for years.

Main reason is that I am considering to sell my JCRG Art-1. Rich, any thoughts on this, should I go locally or do you have some customers waiting for one?
Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
547 Posts
More undead than dead.
Speaking as a newer member who came here purely to share information rather than show off or sell stuff I found that some of the 'revenants' on here were pretty hostile to debate or discussion, worse yet some of them had significant powers to limit any such debate that might threaten to break out.
Active threads need to be allowed to grow organically rather than being nipped in the bud.
Difference of opinion is essential in stimulating discourse, I don't care how much money you've got, I want to know what you think and why.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I'm one of the moderators of the "Ibanez RG Series Fans" FB group. That one has close to 22k members and I feel like I see at least half a dozen join requests per day.

The one linked above is called "Ibanez RG/Jem/Universe Group" and has just shy of 21k members. That one is run by a couple of the original members from here who had a falling out of some sort with people here a number of years back. There are a few personalities in this one I don't care for, so I mostly stick to the one I help run unless there's a really interesting topic.

Rich, I think you'd like that one. This chick is one of their featured members lol

https://www.rockinguitarsonline.com/

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am on the RG-Jem-Universe page noted above and on the RG Series Fan and AZ Series Facebook pages.
Without seeming negative on any source.... I generally think the forum experience in general is being displaced by Facebook and other social media. I don't think the phenomena is unique to Jemsite.
I will say there are super informative people on those pages and here, but Jemsite IMO has more consistently good info here. I think it's because a lot of the early questions went to Facebook. Like "what pickups should I get?" or "Why won't my trem stay in tune?" Those aren't bad questions but they no longer seem to pop up here with the same frequency as they did in the past. I see those a lot on the facebook pages.
BUT there are a lot of very good players over there too. Magnus, Remy, and I've seen Ken Haas and Frank Falbo over there too. Certainly they always have great info to share.
One thing I am wary of on Facebook is lots of people try to personally friend me. I generally keep my personal page insulated, especially over the last few years. I have strong opinions and use naughty language often. I don't generally friend coworkers and some family members, and if I do they get put into a list where they don't always see my posts. Social media has created a lot of awkward situations over the years and Jemsite has been great of firewalling a lot of that out. Yeah, the gear FB pages keep that out too but when someone from there friend requests me it's a bit odd. I also have young kids so I'm extra cautious.
Content is big over there though. Jemsite used to get good scoops and lately everything new I've seen, notably the AZ series, the FRM 200, and recently the Timmons AZ, I've seen there first.
Content is great there too. It's very easy to take a pic of your axe on your phone and post to a FB group. Here how much space are we allotted? 25 MB? That's like a 1995 kind of restriction. And it's a PITA to post via a HTML link. And do people still use photobucket to link photos? This is where FB, Instagram, and Twitter win - hands down!

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
More undead than dead.
Speaking as a newer member who came here purely to share information rather than show off or sell stuff I found that some of the 'revenants' on here were pretty hostile to debate or discussion, worse yet some of them had significant powers to limit any such debate that might threaten to break out.
Active threads need to be allowed to grow organically rather than being nipped in the bud.
Difference of opinion is essential in stimulating discourse, I don't care how much money you've got, I want to know what you think and why.
Your input and debate always welcome, but the moderators here have always been very strict on tone and aggression. ie. [and I don't know if you did, but as an example] if somebody asks a dumb question and you ask them if they're serious or just dumb, that's going to get nipped in the bud. Otherwise if everything is kept civil all differences of opinion are respected.

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
I'm one of the moderators of the "Ibanez RG Series Fans" FB group. That one has close to 22k members and I feel like I see at least half a dozen join requests per day.

The one linked above is called "Ibanez RG/Jem/Universe Group" and has just shy of 21k members. That one is run by a couple of the original members from here who had a falling out of some sort with people here a number of years back. There are a few personalities in this one I don't care for, so I mostly stick to the one I help run unless there's a really interesting topic.

Rich, I think you'd like that one. This chick is one of their featured members lol

https://www.rockinguitarsonline.com/
You know me, I've always tried to be unplugged from social media with rare exception of the few forums I belong to. You'll never catch me at a stoplight looking at my phone, I'll be the one behind you laying on the horn to get you to move ;)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Aw man... I like this website. I swore off facebook about a year and a half back, mainly because of the political garbage and a-holes. I like a nice civil place like this... plus the old guitar challenges were fun. I've learned so much from this site over the years. People had the patience to help me learn how to record with a DAW, help with guitar setup advice, wiring pickups in weird ways, etc.. This site, youtube, and my email are 99% of my internet activity.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Aw man... I like this website. I swore off facebook about a year and a half back, mainly because of the political garbage and a-holes. I like a nice civil place like this... plus the old guitar challenges were fun. I've learned so much from this site over the years. People had the patience to help me learn how to record with a DAW, help with guitar setup advice, wiring pickups in weird ways, etc.. This site, youtube, and my email are 99% of my internet activity.
I "closed my account" on Facebook after they let everybody on and the excessive self-promotion by individuals made up the majority of my "Wall." (I do not know if people still have "Walls" anymore.) After that, I never opened another social media account. As a Millenial, I predict many of my fellow Millenial's will have a hard time getting elected to public office because of what they posted during the early days of Facebook. Then again, Donald Trump is not exactly a saint...or a Millenial. :plain:

Jemsite was the first forum I joined. I bought an RG570 instead of a JEM555 Jr. because of the advice from this website. (Lo Pro > Lo-Trs) Ironically, the bridge was installed crooked which caused all sorts of problems. I could see the bridge was crooked and assumed everyone else could see it too, like the guitar tech and salespeople. After about 3 months of "problem-solving", I decided to point out that the bridge was crooked to the salesman I bought it from. I was a kid.
"Wow! You're right! We never saw that." They ordered me a new one which took a week. :surprise:8O:surprise:8O
So, thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts