Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a new puppy and didn't think much of putting the les paul up off it's stand. Well, that said, I am a moron.

Come home one night and the guitar is on the ground. Didn't see much dont to so I put it up and went to sleep. Last night was the first day I actually played the guitar to notice a nice big ass crack in the neck.

Now, I am not a master at fixing anything guitar related, so I have no idea if this can be fixed. If it can, is this something I can do on my own with a wood glue/epoxy, or am I going to pay out of the ass at a guitar repait shop?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Repairable, but unless you are sure of what you are doing, take it to a good professional. In the mean time, get the strings off it and slacken the truss rod- you don't want any tension on it until it is fixed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JTM45 said:
That's a relatively easy repair.

There's a link from Rich's site here which shows you exactly how to do it. It's obviously slightly different because it's a lacquered Gibson neck as opposed to an Ibanez bolt-on neck,which is far easier to make look nicer afterwards, but the repair part is the same.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm
I read thru that, doesn't seem too complicated, but the clamping would definately have to be different. Also seems the section of the neck that snapped on mine has a lot more stress placed on it, no?

The finsihed product (as far as appearence) really doesn't matter much to me. I play the guitar, I don't show it off :) Not to mention its the back of the neck :)

Sorry, I love this guitar wayyyyy too much to sell.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Shoud be easier to clamp, everything for the most part looks like flat surfaces. I'd clamp it between to piece of wood using real metal C clamps, just don't squeeze ALL of the glue out.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
That really sucks. It brings back chilling memories about my LP phase- exactly the same thing happened with a minor fall off a stand right in front of me. Then I come to find this is a NORMAL OCCURANCE with LP's (and Gibson's in general).
Well, that was it for me! I sold my Standard and Custom and never bought another one of "those" guitars again. And you know? -I don't miss them at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I know this thread is really old, but I haven't had much motivation to fix this. I now do.

Any idea what it would cost to have a professional fix this? I just need a ballpark so I don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It would depend on how good you wanted the finish to look when it's done, and how much you'd like it to look as though it never happened. But I'd say somewhere around the $100 area would be fair. $250+ could be a ripoff, or you could be speaking to a master luthier. It's hard to say. $50 is cheap but the repair will probably suck. So at that point I'd consider the $50 deal a bigger ripoff than the $250.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.