Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What is your main issue with the V series pickups?

• Too bassy/muddy

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Too trebly

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Not enough clarity

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Not enough output

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Too much output

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too harsh

Votes: 4 11.8%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing some DIY experiments with some Ibanez V7 and V8 pickups soon. Swapping magnets, half air, filtering caps, etc.

I want to know what sort of issues people have with the stock V series, see if I can work out some nice cheap mods that might give people what they want when they are poor like me, and cannot afford to buy lots of pickups to try.

I'll be documenting what I find on my blog, and try to work out how to get the tones people want from their pickups. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've got my old V7 placed in neck position in my Kawai aquarius, alder body and maple neck, with a DP150 double whammy in bridge position.
The V7 lacks of clarity, and is not too muddy, and is not articulate enough. The output is good to deal with the double whammy.
What idea do you have to solve that sounding?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I've only ever used the V7-V8, and I think they're both close to being decent pickups. I think that they could be VERY nice "vintage style" pups with the right tweaks.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I like the V7 and V8 much better than the S pickups. The V series are decent pickups, but I find they lack clarity--they have a nice punch and some good output, but they are just a little on the muddy side.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
What do you mean by vintage style? Give me some descriptors. :)
Sorry it took so long to get back...... by vintage, I mean old school PAF type of sound. If you tried an alnico 3 mag or a half air mod......or maybe shorter pole pieces.

I think the way their wound you could avoid the "quack" of vintage pups while cleaning up the lows and mids using an A3 mag........ just my thought's though, I have no real experience with this stuff as you know.....

Ryc

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back...... by vintage, I mean old school PAF type of sound. If you tried an alnico 3 mag or a half air mod......or maybe shorter pole pieces.

I think the way their wound you could avoid the "quack" of vintage pups while cleaning up the lows and mids using an A3 mag........ just my thought's though, I have no real experience with this stuff as you know.....

Ryc
Well I was planning on getting a few ceramic for more output, and maybe some alnico 2/3s to try and vintage them up. Half-air was definitely on the cards for adding more clarity, and an open sound. I've got a feeling using a ceramic magnet, and half airing the bridge will result in a cool pickup with similar output to stock, but more openness and clarity.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Well I was planning on getting a few ceramic for more output, and maybe some alnico 2/3s to try and vintage them up. Half-air was definitely on the cards for adding more clarity, and an open sound. I've got a feeling using a ceramic magnet, and half airing the bridge will result in a cool pickup with similar output to stock, but more openness and clarity.
That sounds like a GREAT idea......... how do you think the windings will respond to the ceramic???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.