Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, got word that my custom build is done; the one I commissioned with Lepsky, out of Russia. Turns out he is relocating to Georgia (not "peach" Georgia of course, lol) due to the difficulties and conflict within Russia. Kudos to him and his family, must be very stressful to have to uproot everything, including your established business/workshop and move. For those reasons I am even more impressed that he was still able to get everything he needed to get my guitar done. Anyway, just wanted to share some pictures. I'll try to get some higher res examples, as these were taken off of instagram. Super excited, it's on the way as we speak, can't wait to see, hear, and feel what it's all about :)

Specs were/are:
Gravity (body shape)
Mahogany body/Flame Maple top
Satchur8 and Air Norton Pickups
Gotoh GE-1996t bridge
Cosmo black hardware
Ebony fretboard
5pc Roasted Maple neck (regular profile, i.e NOT the thin, so 19-22mm thickness)
Flame Maple binding w/luminlay side markers
Stainless Steel frets
abalone offset dot inlays
matched headstock veneer
Locking tuners, honestly not 100% sure on this one, it was either hipshot or Gotoh

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Wood String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musician String instrument

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Hand Guitar String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a killer combination!
Thanks, yeah, I've been through A LOT of DiMarzio pickups in the last few months, like 12 different models, and I keep coming back to the Satchur8 and to some extent Utopia. VERY addictive pickups, has the clarity of a single-coil, but with the power of a humbucker, like a superpowered version of the FRED or Norton, squeals for days, great sounding pickups for every style.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That's an RGA killer, surely 😬.

Can we also give props to the luthier for making a squeaky clean trem cavity so no backplate is needed?

Yes, relocating is one of the most difficult things one can do, and many Russians have been going to Georgia since the beginning of the conflict. If he's going to set up shop in Tbilisi, might have to check it out at some point 😎.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure if it's the photography cause I have seen otherwise killer guitars looking like crap cause of poor photography skills, but nevertheless that's a beauty really. Green is unique, not 100% masculine unlike blue; it's something else.

Now tell me, what's so custom about that guitar cause the specs are commonplace?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not sure if it's the photography cause I have seen otherwise killer guitars looking like crap cause of poor photography skills, but nevertheless that's a beauty really. Green is unique, not 100% masculine unlike blue; it's something else.

Now tell me, what's so custom about that guitar cause the specs are commonplace?
Thanks, I never really saw colors in the realm of gender, not to be too "woke" about it, but I just like what I like, regardless of any connotation about what the color might say about me :D but yeah, I originally was going to do a blue burst, like my RG2420, but when I really sat down and thought about it, blue-greens are more my thing. My absolute favorite color was the Blue-Black Sunburst on the RG1880 (see pic below), it actually has far more green than blue in it, despite the name. Anyway, I sent the builder 2 different pictures of the color and one more (trans turquoise from the ESP M-II see below) this is what he came up with. Admittedly, it has VERY slightly more green in it than I may have wanted, but I think it looks fantastic, and I'm not sure that having it be slightly more blue would have been exactly what I wanted.

As far as what makes it custom. Well, it doesn't have to be something really wacky to be custom! 😁 Quite literally, what makes it custom is that nobody makes anything like it! ESP has something close, Ibanez has something close, Jackson has something close, sure, but I didn't want "close", I wanted everything the way I wanted it to be, no compromises. It just so happens that my idea of custom is close to something off the shelf. If I ever got the chance for Ibanez to do me a custom guitar I'd give them these exact specs; though I'd probably have them do it in the vintage violin color, since I already have my blue-green 😊
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory
Guitar Musical instrument String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are a lot of good, beautiful guitars. And then there are great beautiful guitars. In the end there are guitars like jewel. By judging the pics, I would categorise this one as a jewel! Excellent looking guitar. If it plays and sinds like she looks like, you're a happy camper! Congratulations!!!
Thanks so much, currently waiting on its arrival. Super excited to get it in my hands. You never quite know how you are going to jive with something until you get those first few hours in with it. If all goes well, my plan is to do 2 more, eventually, one in a Vintage Violin/McCarty Glow-like finish, and another in kind of a Maroon/purple burst like my old Jackson, see pics below. This may actually mean that I sell some of my J-Custom's off gasp.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar White String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put my name on the waiting list for your MRG17 😎
Pepperidge Farm remembers ;)

Currently in queue to be sold, but yet to get the ads up, in case you or anyone reading is interested:
1999 RG520QS-OL (1 of 50, yay! and god damn does this play better than nearly everything I own, why is it always the cheap ones that play the best...?)
AZ2402FF-RBB; agonized over this one, as it's great, but I really just think I'm likely to stay with my RG/RGA/R models
(2) MSM100's: these things are brilliant, like if JP had stayed with Ibanez, but again, I'm moving back to RG/RGA/R's again; though I am keeping my MSM100 that has the crazy good top though, had to import that one direct from Japan.

lol, I hijacked my own thread!

·
Super Moderator
9,767 Posts
I absolutely love that top and that color, congratulations! I'm not really familiar with the Satchur8 pickups, can I ask what you like most about them? What are really best at? I'm looking at taking the EVOs out of my Jem7V to make it a better all around guitar so I am curious about what folks really love :)

Once again though, that is GORGEOUS! I would usually say, "Play the frets off her!", but since it's Russian, I'll say, "Play the frets off him" :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts