Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jesus Christ, everyone on Reverb and Ebay wants $5000+ for this guitar. I searched for weeks and I can't find a good price. This is why I always loved and hated these guitars. Not only they already come massively overpriced from the factory, but everyone thinks is a 60s Strat. Now, all the other Japanese Jems have been discontinued except for the overpriced and flamboyant ugly PIA.

This 30th guitar is just a glorified Prestige with a few holes and different colors

The result of this? Every seller overpricing these recently discontinued Jems that are not even anniversaries and thinking they have super unique guitar.

This is why the internet sucks.

I don't think I will ever owe a jem. I refuse to pay these sellers inflated prices let alone buy those Indo guitars and the Pia is just ugly and overpriced too.

They did that on purpose to force people into paying more if they want a new Japanese Jem the PIA is your only option, no thanks

People say you can buy an old one. I don't like the white Jems, everyone and their mother has one. The old ones could have a lot of stuff wrong with them and they are still over inflated.

Problem is now every anniversary they come out with another super overpriced guitar than the last few years, so even if I wait for new anniversaries hoping to get a $3500 price like the 2017, it won't happen as chances are whatever they create will be $7000-10000

35th anniversary is on 2022, what will they come out with, probably some nonsense super PIA or something like that costs 10k

The only reason people want the PIA is that is something different, but the sales won't be good enough, you'll see it happen, the price has a lot to do with it, if the $3000 white Jem wasn't moving much for all these years, but what makes you think this PIA which is a weird design that many people don't like will do any better. Most people just buy used Japanese Jems.

Ibanez now mainly makes their money off the Indo Jems which is what most people buy.

Nobody was buying their white MIJ jems because they were overpriced for so long. They weren't moving enough to justify them, so they discontinued and kept the PIA.

All this does is make people stop buying new from Ibanez and go to the used market.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The prices are a bit mad...

I bought a great condition 777VBK for £600 in 2012 and sold it again later that year for £700 thinking it was good business...

As I couldn't justify owning 2 nearly identical guitars (a VBK is just an FP with no flowers)..

Now ones in the condition mine was go for £2-3k...

That's quite an increase in 8 years...

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
The first Multi colour I saw advertised was, I think £1099. The first one I bought was £1450, brand new with case. When I bought that first swirl, an RG770DX (the top of the range Japanese RG available at the time) was £799. Prices these days are comparable. I'll sell you that same first swirl I bought for ooh say, £10,000? There's one on Reverb in trashed condition for just under £7,000.

The 30th JEM was ALWAYS going to be expensive, guitars from Gibson and Fender have taught us that reissues of sought after guitars cost big bucks and that was always going to be the case with the green/pink/yellow JEMs, the Swirls and the Chromeboys. You're buying memorabilia as much as a guitar in that instance. If it's too rich for your wallet (I know it is for mine) then sorry, but... maybe in the next life...

Was the JEM7VWH too expensive? Probably not. Was it largely unchanged for 25 years right down to the paint and hardware colours... yes it was.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Peromucho7, you are so right man... Though I've heard PRS has amazing quality control.

I agree with the whole jem over priced thing. You're paying for the name association... but that's to be expected. But anything that is in limited supply is going to be expensive. Like these scalpers with the ps5 xbox series x or a new 3000 series nvidia graphics card... It's a similar principle, though you can wait for new stock with those.

I was super in love with the JS guitars too until I played a 540 radius. Now I'm selling my JS cuz I bought a second 540r lol. It's just better IMO. The 91 I just got had the original receipt. $815 out the door. Amazing how cheap a fugijen guitar was back then... Though $800 in the early 90's went a lot further back then.

But what's wrong with owning an RG? they may not have a monkey grip, but you can definitely find one made of essentially the same woods as a jem, and put the pickups you want in it. Feel wise the body has to be essentially the same besides it being a tad heavier. And they have a wizard family neck, which is similar to vais... it's also not a signature guitar so you won't look like a fan boy (no offense 🙄 ) I know they are turning into ibanez's les paul when it comes to a "standard" but project guitars are more personal. They're uniquely yours, which to me makes them better. Unless you're interested in the long term equity.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peromucho7, you are so right man... Though I've heard PRS has amazing quality control.

I agree with the whole jem over priced thing. You're paying for the name association... but that's to be expected. But anything that is in limited supply is going to be expensive. Like these scalpers with the ps5 xbox series x or a new 3000 series nvidia graphics card... It's a similar principle, though you can wait for new stock with those.

I was super in love with the JS guitars too until I played a 540 radius. Now I'm selling my JS cuz I bought a second 540r lol. It's just better IMO. The 91 I just got had the original receipt. $815 out the door. Amazing how cheap a fugijen guitar was back then... Though $800 in the early 90's went a lot further back then.

But what's wrong with owning an RG? they may not have a monkey grip, but you can definitely find one made of essentially the same woods as a jem, and put the pickups you want in it. Feel wise the body has to be essentially the same besides it being a tad heavier. And they have a wizard family neck, which is similar to vais... it's also not a signature guitar so you won't look like a fan boy (no offense 🙄 ) I know they are turning into ibanez's les paul when it comes to a "standard" but project guitars are more personal. They're uniquely yours, which to me makes them better. Unless you're interested in the long term equity.
I guess is just the appeal of owning something others don't have. Everyone has a prestige and more so a Genesis now lol

but yeah if you do some mods, you can make it your own

I also feel like if I spend $3500-5000 on a guitar like this, there's a lot of pressure on you and people expecting you sound up to part lol not that other peoples opinions matter you can buy whatever you want, but id always feel like im playing something more valuable than im good for

I'm just a regular joe playing at home so its not worth it I guess but since this accumulate value, in a way is an investment too but id like to have jem someday, not a white one or those common ones that everyone has tho

·
Registered
667 Posts
Bah who cares if you're not some monster player. It's about what you like, and what makes you happy. If it inspires you to write or learn that's what matters. I personally like the older ibanez guitars with the traditional neck pocket cuz I can put custom necks on them and really make it my own. The radius for me is inspirational, the way the body looks and feels is something else... It's like no other guitar ever made. I loved it so much I bought 3 different pickup configuration types... HSS, HSH and a js100 (HH) with and upgraded bridge and warmoth neck substitutes the radius (since the body is essentially the same) it's made of the same wood after all. It stirs something in me... Thankfully they aren't as expensive 😬.

My father just splurged on a fender telecaster professional II. Over $1700 for a telecaster... A bit pricey IMO for such a basic configuration... Not my thing but it inspires him. Have you ever played a MIJ RG?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bah who cares if you're not some monster player. It's about what you like, and what makes you happy. If it inspires you to write or learn that's what matters. I personally like the older ibanez guitars with the traditional neck pocket cuz I can put custom necks on them and really make it my own. The radius for me is inspirational, the way the body looks and feels is something else... It's like no other guitar ever made. I loved it so much I bought 3 different pickup configuration types... HSS, HSH and a js100 (HH) with and upgraded bridge and warmoth neck substitutes the radius (since the body is essentially the same) it's made of the same wood after all. It stirs something in me... Thankfully they aren't as expensive 😬.

My father just splurged on a fender telecaster professional II. Over $1700 for a telecaster... A bit pricey IMO for such a basic configuration... Not my thing but it inspires him. Have you ever played a MIJ RG?
I have a red genesis that I got off ebay for $680, i got it for that price because it has a small chip on the back, besides that it was like new

I put an Evo pickup on the bridge that i got off sale and plan on installing a brass block and the ESP trem stabilizer which has some brass in it too

been entertaining the idea of installing a sustainiac too, it would be around $500 with pickup and install, still cheaper than a jem after all is said and done

i bought it cause i cant afford a jem and i dont want an old jem off ebay either, even those old ones are expensive

but my favorite jem is the lochness green

but that thing is like 5k if not more because is the green color is more popular and more expensive

when i saw it on 2017 i liked it but even at the original $3500 it was a lot for me

I have the money actually, i can pay cash for one even 5k

but it wouldnt be a good financial decision so my Genesis will do until im rich lol

never played a MIJ Jem tho, so i dont how much better it is, im sure is better than a genesis

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're right they have gone up. I bought Jem 777 LNG #42 for like $1800 way back when. Unfortunately it was stolen so now I look at these exorbitant prices and cry.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I kept every Jem I owned, I could probably sell them now for double what I sold them for, but that's also true of several of the RG and Prestige(before the Prestige name went onto the RG lineup). Oh well......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Simple..... just keep the $3500 and wait..... if the seller wont be able to sell the overpriced guitar definitely they will bring down the price if they really wanna let go and need cash......usually not many or no one would pay $5000 for jem777 30th for sure......they can priced the guitar however they want but end of the day can they sell it at that price?😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
559 Posts
I love how some people think that Ibanez’ s pricing model or line choices are “forcing” anyone to do anything. You are either “willing” to pay for one or you are not.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess is just the appeal of owning something others don't have. Everyone has a prestige and more so a Genesis now lol

but yeah if you do some mods, you can make it your own

I also feel like if I spend $3500-5000 on a guitar like this, there's a lot of pressure on you and people expecting you sound up to part lol not that other peoples opinions matter you can buy whatever you want, but id always feel like im playing something more valuable than im good for

I'm just a regular joe playing at home so its not worth it I guess but since this accumulate value, in a way is an investment too but id like to have jem someday, not a white one or those common ones that everyone has tho
i don't...i do have a 98 white 7vwh but most of my other rgs are late 80's to mid 90's...i have the ones i want so i never investigated the prestige or the genesis lines...my favorite is a stripped to the wood 89 570 that was once jewel blue...d.m.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
That's now a 33 year old, vintage instrument. One that was out of a limited, numbered run with the artist's original signature still just about intact. Even with the paint chips and neck pocket cracks, it'll not be long before that one is up at $10K.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Granted this wasn't in the past month, but in this year I've seen these pretty often in the $3000-3500 range. There aren't tons of these things so it doesn't seem unusual to me at all that you can go through stretches where only the overpriced ones are available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's now a 33 year old, vintage instrument. One that was out of a limited, numbered run with the artist's original signature still just about intact. Even with the paint chips and neck pocket cracks, it'll not be long before that one is up at $10K.
Yeah that's why I'm still crying about having mine ripped off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.