Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed it in a RG550LTD, and I am pleasantly surprised with it. The frets are well polished and leveled, and the playability is excellent.

I only had to make two small adjustments:
1) Round the edges with a file, to fit it into the end of the pocket neck
2) Lower the nut by removing the included spacer

When I move below the 12th fret I miss the scallops. Maybe I will send it to a local luthier to do a full scallop.

BTW: it was delivered from Singapore.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks nice. I love full scaloped necks. It gives you great control of strings.
That is true. I love the feeling. It is also helping me to be aware of unnecessary excessive pressure on my fingers.

BTW. Action = 1mm at both 1st and 2nd strings -> and still no fret buzz! (with soft picking, of course, no SRV style 😄) That means that the frets are perfectly leveled.

So far I do not have any complain

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did sound of guitar change?
I do not notice any change at the sound or at the sustain. Only at the feeling, due to the scalloped frets. It is also 2mm thicker than the Wizard. This one has 21mm at the 1st fret and 23mm at the 12th fret, while the Wizard has 19/21, but I feel totally comfortable with both sizes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm glad to hear this was of surprisingly high quality. It's not very hard to scallop your own frets, there's plenty of info on YouTube (some of it very good...). In fact, the scallop job on this inexpensive neck looks perfectly functional but probably a fair amount sloppier than you could do on your own. With a little practice on a throwaway neck first, I'll bet you could scallop frets 1-11 and then clean up 12-24 and it'd play great all along its length!

·
Registered
489 Posts
i am very tempted to attempt the same thing now as you have much cred

only thing is ping, what if there IS some kind of leveling or polishing issue and i dont have the tech ability to fix it ? thast the only risk, but still pretty cool man

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am very tempted to attempt the same thing now as you have much cred

only thing is ping, what if there IS some kind of leveling or polishing issue and i dont have the tech ability to fix it ? thast the only risk, but still pretty cool man
Hi. No level issues with this one. It was good as it came. No need for polishing the frets

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.