Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a strat, but the more i think about the JS, the more i think ill be happy about having that coil tap :D

If i got a strat it would be a bit of a one trick pony, but having the humbuckers on the JS would mean id be able to use it for pretty much everything :D

At the moment, ive got a EBMM JPM, an RG1527, an RG570EX, and im half way through a RG to JEM conversion.... id just like to have a guitar without such a screaming tone, something a bit more controllable... and be able to get the single coil sounds (but im afraid if i bought a strat, i wouldnt use it for anything except playing blues every now and then).

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I don't think a JS is any more flexible than a strat - just different. You won't get true "strat" tones from a JS. Of course, you won't get JS tones from a strat, either. So, which do you want more? If you're not sure, you should go play them for a while. Or, get a JS and rout for a middle pup. Or get an HSH strat.... And what FEELS better to you?

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted a good single coil bridge sound, a la Dave Gilmore. But if i bought a strat i dont feel id really use it enough, while id probably use a JS a lot more, as i generally like guitars with humbuckers on them.

The lack of a middle pickup isnt a problem, i prefer guitars without them, and i quite like the split coil sound of the 2 humbuckers in the middle position. I wouldnt go cutting up a JS for a middle pickup.

Did satch use his JS's to record all of his self titled album? Theres some very nice tones on there, exactally the sort of thing im looking for.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
If you want a more 'flexible' Strat, I'd suggest the American Deluxe series. It's got those Noiseless pickups and the S-1 Switching system. Besides, a regular Strat is quite versatile. Just look at Eric Johnson. You can go a long way with the right setup.

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kamikaze_1 said:
If you want a more 'flexible' Strat, I'd suggest the American Deluxe series. It's got those Noiseless pickups and the S-1 Switching system. Besides, a regular Strat is quite versatile. Just look at Eric Johnson. You can go a long way with the right setup.
I was looking at a deluxe strat when i ended up going for the EBMM (was looking at a JS the same time too...).

Maybe ill take a stroll down to the guitar shop tomorrow lunchtime :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
MOST guitars are fairly versatile; there are few "one trick ponies" out there (esquires and EVH frankenstrats excluded) ;)

But if you have a specific sound you need, some guitars "won't do that". EJ gets many tones, but "Eliminator ZZ Top" and "Megadeth" aren't among them. Of course, Pauls are versatile, but THEY don't do "early Dire Straits" or "Gilmour".

With the right HSH pickups you can cover a LOT of ground, but many will be somewhat of a compromise. This is why many people have lots o' guitars ;)

If you have an EBMM, you might consider the strat simply because it's "more different". Of course, if you prefer H-H and get the sounds you need, the JS rocks. You pays your money and takes your choice...

...maybe just buy both.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
AirGuitar said:
I was thinking about getting a strat, but the more i think about the JS, the more i think ill be happy about having that coil tap :D

If i got a strat it would be a bit of a one trick pony, but having the humbuckers on the JS would mean id be able to use it for pretty much everything :D

At the moment, ive got a EBMM JPM, an RG1527, an RG570EX, and im half way through a RG to JEM conversion.... id just like to have a guitar without such a screaming tone, something a bit more controllable... and be able to get the single coil sounds (but im afraid if i bought a strat, i wouldnt use it for anything except playing blues every now and then).
JS all the way!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
"If i got a strat it would be a bit of a one trick pony......"

Uh, I can't think of a more inaccurate statement than that......... if you want a JS, get one, but strats are probably the most versatile solid body guitar ever made.

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David McCarroll said:
"If i got a strat it would be a bit of a one trick pony......"

Uh, I can't think of a more inaccurate statement than that......... if you want a JS, get one, but strats are probably the most versatile solid body guitar ever made.
I didnt mean the guitar itself is a one trick pony, but i myself would probably only use it for a few things when i really needed a single coil sound, id be unlikely to use it when i wanted a rock sound (as i tend to prefer the sound of distortion on humbuckers rather than a single coil) so would probably spend my time using my other guitars instead, making it not quite worth the purchase.

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JESTER700 said:
If you have an EBMM, you might consider the strat simply because it's "more different". Of course, if you prefer H-H and get the sounds you need, the JS rocks. You pays your money and takes your choice...

...maybe just buy both.
Thats deffinately a good point, i guess ill have to work out which would be best...

Getting both? Ill probably end up with one of each in a few years time, but at the moment, im trying to work out which is more important :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Get both. Honestly.

A guitar collection is incomplete without a strat and you do want a JS, trust me, you do.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just sold my Strat (which I loved) to get a JS90th from Rich (which I love more). I agree that they are very different animales- I Rich has a JS1 with the center single coil pickup- that might suit all of your needs.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Yeah. Or the H-S-S radius on the bay. Heh. Awesome finish, but the guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed; his auction for it last week with only a "buy it now" of $600 closed with no buyers. so what does he do? Relist it for $650, of course. ;) No case, either.

...now where did I put that inflated radius prices thread...?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts