Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just found and bought a jc 8570M, which I was so long searching for. Now the guitar is shipping and I wanna be prepared. Whoever owned the guitar before was not to much caring about the fretboard. On pictures it is really dirty and the metal parts have pretty much of rost. For the rosted edge pro I already got a NOS edge for a good price. But the dirty maple neck causes me a little headache.

Since all my other guitars have rosewood or ebony boards I never had to deal with maple fretboard care.

So what will I get on a 8570M? Is it a laquered finish or just open pore? Anyone knows? And how to clean?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would also like to know for unfinished maple boards. I recently got an RG752M and it's unfinished. Not dirty yet but it will be one day.

In the past, I have used very fine grade steel wool to clean fretboards and get rid of pesky gunk/stains on frets. Obviously, be careful and only use the very fine stuff so as not to damage anything.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi,

I just found and bought a jc 8570M, which I was so long searching for. Now the guitar is shipping and I wanna be prepared. Whoever owned the guitar before was not to much caring about the fretboard. On pictures it is really dirty and the metal parts have pretty much of rost. For the rosted edge pro I already got a NOS edge for a good price. But the dirty maple neck causes me a little headache.

Since all my other guitars have rosewood or ebony boards I never had to deal with maple fretboard care.

So what will I get on a 8570M? Is it a laquered finish or just open pore? Anyone knows? And how to clean?
It'll be lacquered. Use sparing amounts of dish soap & water & a stiff toothbrush for stubborn dirt. I personally only clean my maple fretboards so they play smooth. I kinda like the character of a finger-stained fret board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.