Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purely from a players standpoint, are J customs really worth the (sometimes significant) extra money? Im thinkin of steppin into the prestige world, but if theres SIGNIFICANT difference between the two (Aside from wood quality and finish techniques) in playability then I may be swayed a little bit.

rg1420 seems to be up my alley, how are those? I want a H/H EZ/EP/LP bridged RG I think. Maybe an S, but they are only 22 fret which stinks :(.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
in my personal view, I admire the craftmanship on the J customs.
But I don't like the way it sounds.

I have (had) 2 J customs : RG 8570 and RG 9670, both has smooth sounds.. too smooth.
Both with original classic combination of TZ-BV-AN.

I don't know.. maybe it's just me, I'm still counting on my regular RG for tone, power, and playbility.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the jem was the only guitar I bought because of its looks, and I bought a newer one because of its playability. Im worried that too much hype is placed on finish vs playability, although I know both will be supreme in J custom and prestiges. Just trying to get the appropriate bang for my buck is all.

Death, never heard of the 2820, ill check that out, but as far as the 3000 series prestiges, I feel like its too close to not get a j custom at that point lol.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I definitely think the J-Customs are a step up, in terms of finish and playability. The two I have play and sound great. They are both 7 strings, both mahogany bodies with maple top, but with the different pickup configs, they have unique sounds, and they play incredible.

They are very nice guitars.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going for a new axe or a used one?
definitely used. Im debating on grabbing a premium still, but I think Id rather spend a little more for a used prestige though. The tops on the premiums are sketchy, but I bet they play great ....

I dunno, I still want to play a J custom before I make any kind of decision, so that may be a while lol.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah got cha bro,totaly understand it.
I always dick around with guitars anyway,so no reason for me to spend big bucks on a j-custom.
I rather customize my rg's self to my likings and thrash out with them.
Thats something i definetly won't do with a j-custom cause there just to expensive and therefore end up on the wall doing nothing. :(

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How do you answer this question? It's impossible for most of us because it takes having one in your hands.

Five years of being a serious guitar player and an Ibanez owner-- buying and learning about guitars, learning how to play, posting on the forums-- and I have yet to see a J-Custom in person. I know that they recently became more available here in the States, but c'mon, the market is so small it's served by two or three dealers and a handful of sales from Japanese shops that risk reprisal for shipping internationally.

I'd really love to answer this question for myself--but the only guitars in the price range that have a decent selection, day in, day out, are Gibson Customs, Fender Custom Shops, PRS.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mikey, I appreciate your response and understand it. Im just hoping someone will give a non biased, objective description of both vs each other. I wouldnt call a prestige 'cheap' by any stretch of the word, but its in no way close to a J custom price tag o_O. Granted the rarity of it is more of a driving factor, but I like to play my guitars :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
J Customs are totally worth it. I've had so many Ibanez guitars over the years and traded or sold all of them away.

However, I have kept my J Customs.
Love these guitars way too much to sell or trade them. Not happening.

:)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I had one and had to sell it due to financial reasons. Awesome guitars, a step above the Prestiges, and I love my Prestige guitars.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You raise a valid point im not sure if I would pour money into a j custom unless I played it and could judge for my self. If you have access to the 1420 and it suits you id pick it up. J customs are amazing instruments don't get me wrong and i don't mean to discourage you buying one I just wouldn't buy one unless I played it first and could personally vouch for the amazing playability.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've owned 4 different Prestiges, all of them different guitars in their own right. An RG2610E, RGT220, RGA121, and most currently a 99 RG3120. The 121 was in rough shape, so it didn't feel worthy of being called a Prestige. Honestly as nice as the J Customs look I don't think id spend the money. Not unless it was exactly what I wanted. It's kinda like paying for a Les Paul custom or one of those goofy ass signature Strats that's the same as the others. Is there really THAT big of a difference to warrant such a price hike?

I can't answer that. Nobody can because it's too subjective.
I can tell you this though, do a little hunting for an older RG3120. Theres just something about those guitars. The feel of the neck as your just picking it up tells you you're in for a nice ride, and it sounds great unplugged too.

Just my 2 cents..

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Got my first J-custom a month or so ago, and I own several Prestige from different eras. I can tell you there is a difference, particularly in the way the neck and frets feel. It's not to say that Prestige aren't great guitars, but the J-custom is one of those guitars that when you think of putting it down, doesn't let you. It really makes you want to play it, and for me the sound and feel are inspiring.

In terms of the price difference between the J-Custom and a 1420, it's going to be a huge leap, so to me it's not so much a question of "is it worth it", but more about how much disposable income you have, or how much time you're willing to spend saving for the guitar, and how long you want to keep the guitar. In other words, do you want a one night stand, or a lifelong partner? :)

One thing I would say; If you get the RG1420, no doubt you'll like it enough, but if you save and get the J-custom there is little doubt in my mind that you'll be in love with it, and want to keep it for life. I can't think of anyone who bought a J-custom and felt at all indifferent about it, or who didn't think it was one of the finest instruments they've ever played.

Depreciation is also definitely a factor to consider. The 1420s were relatively inexpensive new, and are already going for several hundred less on the used market, whereas J-Customs to date have held their resale value pretty well.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I desperately need to find a store that has Warrior's and J customs to play :D haha

Daylight -> excellent points all around. Im just scared I'll drop serious money on a J custom and "not fall in love". Im NOT an RG guy, but Sabers are too cheap to me to fork out on prestige models. Still waiting on my js1000 to come in -.-, that might satiate my GAS for a little while, we'll see.

Thank you everyone for your inputs, I appreciate it. I'll keep my eye out for an older 3000 series RG as well.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Linux, I cannot recommend the first years of RG/RGT3120's enough. there's no comparison between them and current prestige's. The RGT3120 is directly comparable to the JCRG-2. I bought mine for $900 in near mint condition.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts