Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My son recently bought a second-hand SR-500 in superb condition, but we suspect the jack socket will need replacing at some point as it sometimes cuts out if we shoogle (a Scottish technical term...) the plug around. This isn't a problem - access is superb.

However, we'd like to know the specific part required as we presume it's 'switched' since it's an active bass. Is this the case? Does the circuitry get turned on by inserting the plug (ooh-er, missus)?

Many thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello all.

My son recently bought a second-hand SR-500 in superb condition, but we suspect the jack socket will need replacing at some point as it sometimes cuts out if we shoogle (a Scottish technical term...) the plug around. This isn't a problem - access is superb.

However, we'd like to know the specific part required as we presume it's 'switched' since it's an active bass. Is this the case? Does the circuitry get turned on by inserting the plug (ooh-er, missus)?

Many thanks for any advice.
Yes, the jack socket is switched as you correctly surmised.
Rather than shoogling the plug you may well find that simply dismantling, cleaning and straightening the existing socket will effect a permanent repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, Sepulchrave, for the confirmation.

Is the actual socket itself dismantleable? I'd imagined they'd be crimped together or similar?

Cheers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Many thanks, Sepulchrave, for the confirmation.

Is the actual socket itself dismantleable? I'd imagined they'd be crimped together or similar?

Cheers.
By dismantling I mean take it out of the instrument, clean it up and bend the tip contact back into shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No harm!

That leads me back to my earliest question - any idea of the part number of a socket which is switched? Most such sockets with three terminals are 'stereo' and not switched.

Thanks again.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
I just looked at various years of 500's and they all have the same typical Korean barrel jack. Nothing special.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.

I was just concerned that most sockets don't have the required 'switching' capacity - just an 'earth' and two 'pin' terminals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still wondering how these sockets are 'switched' inside and it occurred to me that they might not have ACTUAL 'switching' contacts inside - ie they do not have an actual moving contact that's pushed in to contact with another one when the plug is inserted - but instead might simply be 'stereo' sockets which have the usual three terminals - the earth sleeve, a mid-contact and then the end tip.

What could then happen is that the main earth sleeve and the mid contact are effectively connected together by the plug's main metal pin (which is mono), thereby turning on the power (possibly via the earth -ve battery terminal rather than the more usual +ve), and that leaves the socket 'tip' pin to do its normal 'signal' job.

Does that make sense? If so, then there is nothing 'special' about these sockets - they are simply 'stereo' sockets and don't have moving switching contacts inside.

Anyone know if this is correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i have an sr-500 bass, it is just a stereo jack. The ring lug is what completes your circuit for the pickups/preamp. If you don't do a stereo jack your battery stays on the entire time until it runs down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.