Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about this guitar. Anyone had any experience with it?

I'll be swapping out the Licenced Trem and putting in an OFR,
and also a 5-way switch. So appart from the the trem, what's the guitar like? (Neck, Build Quality etc.)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had one- I thought it was one of the best players out there for the money. The pickups sound great, the finish was perfect and I was surprisingly happy with the trem. It wasn't the greatest feel I've ever had in a trem, but the stability was top-notch and I never felt the need for a replace. If you can get it for a great deal, go for it!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Played a couple. Thought they were good guitars. Always liked the DK2's. They look best in White or Eerie Dress Swirl for my money.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I played a DK2M the other day - I thought the neck felt very nice. Smooth, fast, comfortable. The bridge pickup sounded good for metal but the neck pickup was a bit muddy for clean for me. I wasn't using a great amp so maybe a different one would help. So overall I was impressed.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
All the DK2s are very nice guitars; I would compare them very favorably to the old RG7xx series guitars. I had one of the flame painted/rosewood board ones for a while, and only let it go because I didn't really need it in the first place ;)

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
yes ive had a dk2m the black one.was a good guitar quite beefy,semour duncan pups and the neck was great.for the price a very good guitar but i swapped mine for a xbox360 and a few games.as for the trem it seemed ok.for the price you wont get a better guitar

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you like Fender and Ibanez necks, you will like the neck. The compound radius feels like both brands at the same time. Bound fretboard and a nice fret finish.
The nothingness of a scarf joint, always welcome.

The JaZZ neck pickup has plenty of bite when it is turned all the way up and mellows out very quickly into jazz when you turn it down. I think it could benefit from the capacitor or what ever is on the Jem's volume pot to keep the treble up as the volume goes down.

The bridge pickup is very versatile.

Bridge: Agree with Jallen , different feel from an edge.* but no stability issues.

Body is Alder and a nice change from my normal Ibanez basswood.

I bought a dk2m for an all purpose, travel and beat it up guitar and to put the maple fretboard neck on my dk2s. The dk2m is pretty in white, I ended up with a cobalt blue one because it was there.

The new ones come with an awesome, SKB rebranded case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I nearly bought one of these a few months ago because I thought it was real sharp with the maple and black binding. But the duncan designed pickups were garbage and I don't trust LFR's, so I chose not to based on the fact that it'd cost me another 300 dollars to be happy with it. Assuming you pay the sticker price of like 550-600 for it, and spend 200 on an OFR, that's 800 dollars that could be much better allocated towards a used prestige, or an older jackson or charvel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
the block on the floyd needs to be milled down so it doesnt stick out past the back if you have the big one. i'll measure the one i have now but i think its 42mm and its too big. 32mm might work stock.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I nearly bought one of these a few months ago because I thought it was real sharp with the maple and black binding. But the duncan designed pickups were garbage and I don't trust LFR's, so I chose not to based on the fact that it'd cost me another 300 dollars to be happy with it. Assuming you pay the sticker price of like 550-600 for it, and spend 200 on an OFR, that's 800 dollars that could be much better allocated towards a used prestige, or an older jackson or charvel.
First of dude the DKM2 comes with "REAL" seymour duncan pups and they aren't garbage I am sorry to say... :roll: secondly, the licensed FR is very good and will hold in tune just as good as the original FR no need to spend more money to upgrade something that is already solid, I have several Jacksons with LFR and I have never had tuning issues with them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Very cool guitar, especially the Snow White finish... had one but regretted selling it so I picked up the Eerie Dess Swirl a few months ago.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm on my 2nd one of these. Personally, I think you'd be wasting your money and/or time in swapping the bridge. When the DK2M model came out, they upgraded the Jackson bridge construction design (not that it was that bad to begin with). It stays in tune and feels good. The guitar is stage ready as is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts