Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yeah they definitely aren't considered a "swirl" because they obviously aren't dipping them in the traditional marbling sense that we call swirling, but some other probably proprietary process. It is a cool finish though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure how true this is, but I was told by a guitar shop employee that clingfilm is involved in that particular process.
Possible I think.Paint the clingfilm. Put it face down onto the guitar (so the paint touches it). Put your hand on the back of the clingfilm. Give it a twist. Just hazarded (if such a word exists) a guess.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What is rarely captured properly on pictures is that Eerie Dess contains besides the predominant blue and the green hues in the center also some kind of purple red towards the outside of the swirl. I was surprised when I saw it for the first time in person - looks impressive on their Randy Rhoads shape (impractical and metal-only aside, I have a secret crush on such an axe :)).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't think the MIJ version of the Eerie Dess Swirl is the same as the USA version. I've seen both and the USA version looked like a completely different finish to me.

I saw a MIJ RR3 and it looked more like a print, while the USA Soloist I saw looked airbrushed, and it had a colour wash through it kinda like a petrol stain. The MIJ version was also much flatter and lacked the depth of the US finish. It makes sense though, the USA is around three times more expensive. :)

Rock on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts