Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've been looking a little more closely at Jackson lately, and am drooling over some of their models like the DKMGT (EMG's and reverse headstock), and I was wondering about their quality/product herachy verses Ibanez's. I'm beginning to be unhappy with Ibanez's product-line conservatism, even though I love my RGA121.

Here is how I have the two companys mapped out it my little noggin:

IBANEZ.......................JACKSON

Japan (J-Custom).........USA (Select Series)
Japan (Prestige)...........Japan (Pro and MG Series)
Korea (RGT42 etc.).......Japan (X Series)
Indon.(RG 3-series).......India (JS Series)

Am I in the ball-park here? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

·
Registered
597 Posts
I guess so. The USA series could also be considered the equivalent to the higher-end Prestige guitars, as J-Customs aren't made for sale outside of Japan. The thing is that Jackson somehow can make a MIJ guitar with a decent trem and pickups, and still have it less than a Prestige. For example, look at the RR3.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you get a Jackson, stick with the pre Fender late 80's early 90's models if possible.
I have heard nothing but good things about the post-fender takeover Jackson USA's. I haven't played enough to compare myself though. The general consensus is that USA's are awesome from what I have heard. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
if you get a Jackson, stick with the pre Fender late 80's early 90's models if possible.
I think that's a load, of crap personally. People who tell you their guitar is "Pre-Fender" are just looking to raise the price of it. Fender bought Jackson in late 2002 as well, so it wasn't all that long ago.

And as guitargod points out, I agree that USA made Jacksons are awesome :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input everyone. The USA's are a little out of my price range. And I am looking at the DKMGT with the fixed bridge and the EMG's (I don't like the black Ibanez model).... I have little-to-no use for tremelos.

As far as this pre-Fender/post-Fender business goes…. a well-built guitar is still a well built guitar. As along as it exceeds my RG320FM in terms of construction and feel, I’ll be happy……until I win the lottery of course.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I would say that the DXMG is more in line with the RGT42.

I think there are some guitars Jackson make that sort of vary from group to group.

Select Series is very nice.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Anything under USA / old "Pro" series is like a RG3xx quality.. jackson doesnt have as great a range as Ibanez does. but jackson USA's are definately up there with JCustoms.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything under USA / old "Pro" series is like a RG3xx quality.. jackson doesnt have as great a range as Ibanez does.
I disagee with that statement. I just came back from the local music shop and tried out a few made in Japan Jacksons (ranging from $600 - $1000 street price), and they felt vastly superior to my RG 3-series. But, they didn't feel as good as my RGA121, which I was half-expecting. Also, I tried out a cheapie JS-series model, just so I could get a better point of reference, and THAT felt comparable to a RG 3-series (with that Jackson being lower).

After testing some of the Jacksons, I agree with Jaxadam's statement that the MG-series is more like the Korean RG-series. I also agree with his statement that there is some "level" variances by country for the Jacksons.

It's all a moot-point anyways, I like the DXMGT and will be buying one soon.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I want MIJ Jacksonstars soloist, the price is almost the same with USA made Jackson. but the features on that thing is justified the price tag (schaller, duncans, ebony board, etc).
lower than that, is dinky series, I love it too, but the features just don't really match with the price they offer. I won't pay like USD 600 for takeuchi-equipped guitar..

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've played a few MIJ Jacksons, and I would say that the neck finishing and overall quality is better with Prestige Ibanez's. I was comparing a MIJ Dinky to some Prestige Ibanez's and it wasn't much of a comparison. But giving the Jacksons due credit, they played well and had decent specs, although they lost points in the quality of the floating bridge (licensed floyd vs edge pro? Please.). I would suggest a MIJ Dinky over almost any of the Korean Ibanez's though (except maybe s series axes). And I wasn't all that impressed with a USA Dinky I tried out, but I did have very high expectations. It was pretty good. I wouldn't say extraordinarily better than my RG2550E though, and it was a good chunk of change more money.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I recently spent some time with a new DKMG Dinky. Its one of the newer ones as it had the upgrade from EMG HZs or whatever they are called to the EMG 81-85 set. What an axe, it is easily finished as well as (if not better) than my RG 2550e. I'm strongly thinking about selling my RR3 for one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Jackson DKMG (the one with a Floyd Rose) and its fantastic for rhythm and lead! The DKMGT will basically be the same minus the Floyd obviously! The guitars are extremely light and hav really thin necks! Its probably very close to an Ibanez Prestige, maybe slightly better! Plus its around the same price range as an Ibanez Prestige! But they are awesome guitars! I'd recommend it!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts