Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Dude, $1000 is too much for a SL-3. That's a Japanese soloist and not as good as the USA SL1 or SL2. You can pick up a good SL-3 for $6-$700 and a descent SL1 or SL2 for a little over $1000.
I'd save a little extra and get a SL2H.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gurj said:
Dude, $1000 is too much for a SL-3. That's a Japanese soloist and not as good as the USA SL1 or SL2. You can pick up a good SL-3 for $6-$700 and a descent SL1 or SL2 for a little over $1000.
I'd save a little extra and get a SL2H.
Where can I get one for $1,000? Every place has them for $1800.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
As I said before, it'll probably cost you a little bit more than $1000 for a good USA soloist. You should be able to get one from evilbay for that much bro. There are a few SL1's on at the moment with the bidding about the $800 mark. BTW I got mine for way less than that ;) It was a very, very lucky find.

But I would say that the SL3's are good guitars aswell. Sure they don't have binding, MOP inlays, etc, but still good guitars. There's a couple of good ones on the bay at the moment, I think ones $625 and the other $685.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The PC1 is a nice guitar, I'm sure (I've never played one) but it's a completely different animal from the Soloist. It really doesn't make sense as an alternative when someone is looking at the latter.

Now's a bad time to get a PC1 too, imo, since it looks like they're going to be coming out with a gorgeous purple Strathead version soon.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
PC-1 is a nice guitar, but I wish it came with the standard Jackson pointy headstock. But that wouldn't stop me owning one if I had the chance ;).

Moro, yeh I think Metallic00 was talking new, but I would not buy a brand new guitar. I did the same as you, buy used. As much as I complain about evilbay, obtaining good quality guitars for fairly reasonable prices is much, much easier these days. For example, new USA soloists are stupid prices in the UK, about £1800 or $3300.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Id personally rather have the pc-1 strathead. Every darn jackson has that pointy headstock and something about it is just really unbalanced to me, i have NEVER liked it, and it chips LIKE CRAZY. Every heavily played jackson ive seen has a nasty chip on the headstock. Well at least most of them.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
moro said:
The PC1 is a nice guitar, I'm sure (I've never played one) but it's a completely different animal from the Soloist. It really doesn't make sense as an alternative when someone is looking at the latter.

Now's a bad time to get a PC1 too, imo, since it looks like they're going to be coming out with a gorgeous purple Strathead version soon.
Interesting :).

Regards

André

PS. I want one in emerald green.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
Id personally rather have the pc-1 strathead. Every darn jackson has that pointy headstock and something about it is just really unbalanced to me, i have NEVER liked it, and it chips LIKE CRAZY. Every heavily played jackson ive seen has a nasty chip on the headstock. Well at least most of them.
That's fair enough bro, like the strathead? Well, buy a strat then ;)! Ask anyone who knows about guitars what comes to mind when they think of Jackson, 1) pointy headstock and 2) sharkfin inlays??? It's their trademark. And who cares whether it chips? I certainly don't. Guitars are meant to be played, not put in their cases and stored away. If they get chipped, big deal. So we now must also stop buying Rhoads and KV's because they chip easily aswell?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Gurj said:
That's fair enough bro, like the strathead? Well, buy a strat then ;)! Ask anyone who knows about guitars what comes to mind when they think of Jackson, 1) pointy headstock and 2) sharkfin inlays??? It's their trademark. And who cares whether it chips? I certainly don't. Guitars are meant to be played, not put in their cases and stored away. If they get chipped, big deal. So we now must also stop buying Rhoads and KV's because they chip easily aswell?
I agree totally, thats what Jacksons are all about! For me they were the original pointy headstock. And for me they were also the first "real" metal guitar!

·
Super Moderator
9,727 Posts
I wouldn't buy an SL-3 at all. You'd do far better with an early 90's Japanese made Pro Soloist. The Pro's were made exactly to the USA Soloist specs, and are amazing. They are far, far better than an SL3. They are as good or better than a USA made Soloist of the same period, which is pretty damn good! They have bound ebony boards just like the USA guitars, and unlike the plain rosewood found on an SL-3. I've picked up two this year, one for $420 and the other for $425 (both in great shape with hard cases, and one had been retrofitted with EMGs). Also, I'd get a Charvel Model 6 over an SL3 anyday, too. That's also a rosewood board but bound and very close to USA Soloist quality (not just specs). Yu can go on over to jcfonline for more info on the Soloist type instruments of you're intersted in one, but don't buy that SL3, especially not for a grand! (And there are plenty of Sl1's and SL2's in the Bay for close to a grand)

jim

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Gurj said:
Well basically im just saying I prefer older strat headstock charvel's as well. Ever hang out on the jackson charvel forum? They prize stratheads above all else, and I personally think theyve got better tone, but having said that the rhoads v is still one of the best guitars ever made.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.