Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
No experience with a Jackson Soloist but I have a Fender strat. I think every guitarist should have at least one strat in their arsenal. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
It depends man. What do you play, Soloists are for hard rock/metal while the strat is more blues/twang/rock-n-roll stuff. I choose the soloist because i just love their heavy tone and it fits what i play.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Soloist all the way, but it really comes down to your musical style. Try them both and see which one you like better.

(Either way you still buy a Fender product)

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
the Jackson! Get a Japanese made Professional Soloist from the early 90's, they completely rule. I have two, and I've had a lot of Strats (including an actual '57). The sub is a cheaper version of a better guitar, so it isn't in the same ballpark. If you've never had a nice Soloist, they are magical, amazing instruments. There are a bazillion strats out there, so there's no rush to get one now ;-)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Partial to Jacksons, don't care for the strats. I seriously miss the 23rd & 24th frets after playing Jems almost exclusively for 2 years. I had an S540 Saber that I loved, but gave to a friend. One night I picked up for a few minutes and couldn't believe how many times I bumped into the missing 23rd fret.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I agree with FloIbanez that every guitarist should have a strat. Strats are great to learn on, and they don't let you get away with mistakes either so it's a great practice guitar!!!!!!

If you are looking in the $1700 price range (new) or $1200 (used) then the Soloist US SL1 (or SL2H if you want 2 humbuckers!) is a great guitar. I prefer the SL1 myself.

I almost got a SL-1 when I bought my Jem. I did not like it nearly as much but the price was quite attractive ($1050 used as opposed to $1800!). It's a nice guitar though.

If you are looking for a cheaper model of the soloist, then get a Strat. You can buy US strats for quite cheap these days as they are a dime a dozen.

That is what *I* would do! :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have 2 strats and a jackson SLATQH. I would agree everyone should have a strat. Even though they can't do everything, fender really got something right with that design.... That's why its the most popular in the world. I would say get a strat. I still find my self doing gigs with a £100 squire strat with all the other axes i got sometimes :)

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
The early 90's Japanese made Professional Soloists (and RRs and Kellys) were made to the exact same specs as their US counterparts. The EXACT specs. They are as good or better than a US Jackson, and that's why that run ended in '94 after starting in '90. The two Pro Soloists I bought this year came to 825 total for 2 guitars and 2 cases. That's the way to go.
Strats...where to start? They are made by many companies, come in hundreds of configurations, and are very prone to good wood/bad wood. To get a great Strat you either need to be lucky or play a bunch of them. A Pro Soloist is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
^^ There was the early line Professional soloists which were copies of the US models, and the later series which was a way scaled down model, so watch out.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I'd personally stick with J0xxxxx and J1xxxxx guitars. They aren't completely rare, but they are creeping up in price.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Flobanez said:
I think every guitarist should have at least one strat in their arsenal. :)
i hear that. every fender i play is hit or miss though (unless something like custom shop)
however, soloists are effing badass. \m/

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would go soloist right off the top of my head. BUT.... the Sub 1 is kinda intriguing and EBMM makes it, so it's prolly pretty good...

·
Registered
149 Posts
well, it depends on your musical style and your budget. a soloist and a usa strat are both way more expensive than a sub 1. i've seen sub 1's for $399 at some guitar centers. for that price, it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Charvel 550 xl.

Basically a Jap Soloist with schaller floyd. Swap out the pickups (only 2 Hum bridge, and neck single) and there is not a huge amount of difference from the USA SL1. I bought mine for £250 of e***, and SL1 goes for over £1000, if not £1800 new. I have played them literally back to back through the same rig, and apart from the pick ups they where the same. It would take a lot of convincing to spend the extra £1000 for v little.

As far as strats go, they are pretty cool. I had an HM for a while which I liked, and I have custom built one using a USA neck, and an alder body (with floyd). It is still my main axe, and to be honest it is as good as my Jem, and gets as much play.

I have never owned a true "normal" strat (although I have played them) but everyone I know that has a good vintage one really likes them.

If I had to pickone it would be the soloist hands down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.