Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a JBM27 and the locking nut was way too high. Measurement at the first fret was almost a full millimeter after trying to get a good overall action setup with an almost totally flat neck. And the neck sat in the pocket a little crooked.

Anyone else have issues with theirs? Just ordered an exchange, so hopefully this one won’t be a dud. Otherwise, nice axe! :smile_big:

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
I've been toying with the idea for ages, but haven't actually gone through with it yet. sorry to hear yours wasn't as good as it should have been.

·
Vendor
26,766 Posts
You are typically going to find these barless nuts far too high, I can't remember the last time I didn't have to grind one considerably to get the first fret action right. You may get one a little lower but I don't think you're going to get one that I'd consider "good".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone has one that had a playable nut height I might be interested in trying another. Otherwise, might try an RGDIR7M even though that blue finish isn’t my cup of tea.

Though, I guess I could file the base of the locking nut.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here's my method for correcting a high locking nut. Leave the strings attached. Loosen them enough so you can slide the nut in & out. Sand the bottom on a flat surface. When you think you have the height correct, slide it back in retune & check it. You don't need to refasten as yo you check, strings will hold it in place. Repeat as necessary. Remember to clean it off every time you sand, to get accurate measurements & to ensure you don't get stray metal into your pup magnets.

·
Vendor
26,766 Posts
Off the nut, grinder, unless you have a couple hours to sand metal. If you're sanding take it off the nut rout with 100, carefully and using a true flat anything to keep the rout true. But taking .6/.7mm off a locking nut is a job for a grinder. And you must relieve the treble edge with a file or as soon as you burn thru the cosmo with will start lifting off the treble side [or bass side, depending on which way you hold the nut on the grinder].

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips!

The height on the one I returned was around .036” on the low E at first fret, which was way too high for me. I’m guessing I’d want around .023”? Hopefully if I get another it will be fine or at least better. I didn’t think the treble side was too bad, but didn’t take a measurement to be sure.

I have a fret sander that I made from a straightedge and planed piece of poplar to lightly take down rough fret ends, and metal files as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get some double stick sandpaper and attach it to a flat surface. Then slowly sand off material until the nut is the right height. If one side needs it more than the other, you can sand unevenly by placing more pressure on one side.

You could also file down the nut seat in the neck or try to file down the nut slots themselves, but I think the first option is the easiest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took it to a local luthier/tech and he suggested I just return it since it was still within the return period. So, I did that.

BUT! I got a good deal on a 6 string with an Edge II and it came from the factory with a decent height at the locking nut with standard strings/tuning. When I got it mostly set up at A-standard tuning with a .062 on the low side and noticed that when I tightened the locking nut it actually raised the string height at the first fret and open. It's a little high but playable without it locked down, but when I tighten the nut even just a little bit, it raises it up and puts a little bend where it sits. Is that odd? Admittedly, I haven't owned a floating tremolo equipped guitar in about 14 years but don't recall having this issue. It's not so bad on the other strings, just that big, gnarly .062 wound on the low side.

I took the nut off to check for shims and no dice. I'm beginning to think my dreams of dive bombs and such should stay dreams. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you adjust the fine tuners after locking down the nuts? If it went sharp after lockdown that's pretty common, especially if there's no string retainer bar. Adjust the fine tuners as needed & the string height will level out.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I took it to a local luthier/tech and he suggested I just return it since it was still within the return period. So, I did that.

BUT! I got a good deal on a 6 string with an Edge II and it came from the factory with a decent height at the locking nut with standard strings/tuning. When I got it mostly set up at A-standard tuning with a .062 on the low side and noticed that when I tightened the locking nut it actually raised the string height at the first fret and open. It's a little high but playable without it locked down, but when I tighten the nut even just a little bit, it raises it up and puts a little bend where it sits. Is that odd? Admittedly, I haven't owned a floating tremolo equipped guitar in about 14 years but don't recall having this issue. It's not so bad on the other strings, just that big, gnarly .062 wound on the low side.

I took the nut off to check for shims and no dice. I'm beginning to think my dreams of dive bombs and such should stay dreams. :)
The 0.062" string is not sitting in the locknut groove properly, it's too fat so you need to file a little at the base of the groove it passes through so it will sit flush.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.