Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose you can choose between 2 jems.

1 model 2002 with ebony fretboard and Lo Pro EDGE
1 model 2004 with rosewood board and EDGE Pro.

Price and condition are the same.
Which one would you go after?

I'm very interested what your opinion is.
Myself did not decide.....yet.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think most people (including myself) will tell you te get the 2002 model. You get ebony and the locking studs for the same price. :wink:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I second that, the 2002 defenitely. Its got the Lo-Pro, has the ebony board, and is just much more my tastes! :D I wouldnt ever get a VWH that is newer than about a 2002 model. I really prefer the much older models myself such as the early 90's models.

Gary - The.Godfather

·
Super Moderator
7,314 Posts
Do you prefer the feel of the rosewood or the ebony one?

I'd be torn, but probably go for the ebony boarded older model. mainly because of the bad things I've heard about the new studs/trem combo.

If the neck on the newer one feels good though, there's your choice:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well... I kind of like the feel of the rosewood board. And I think that the new Edge Pro is very cool, both the looks and the way it lies straight on the body. All this fuzz about locking studs... I don't believe i will ever notice that they are missing... Hell I have had a S540FM with the LoPro edge and it actually was going a little tiny bit sharp after pullups using the whammy bar. This edge pro actually stays totally in tune. (I guess Rich would say otherwise but I really mean this).
Come on - how many of you guys would have noticed this issue if you hadn't been on this website?
About the fretboard I think that the rosewood used on these beauties is of a very high standard. Higher than the one on the s540.
So well... I would choose the new one anytime... Actually the edge pro also has these like roller-things so that the strings doesn't break as easy as on lo pro.

·
Vendor
26,427 Posts
ThomasBJ said:
Hell I have had a S540FM with the LoPro edge and it actually was going a little tiny bit sharp after pullups using the whammy bar. This edge pro actually stays totally in tune. (I guess Rich would say otherwise but I really mean this). .
You need to do more reading, Lo Pro's had that problem for a long long time ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know... And i'm sorry that i didn't point that out. But my point is that the edge pro isn't such a bad tremolo as some people want it to be. You have also said good things about the edge pro, right? And believe me the only problem i have with my jem7v is that theres no backstop. It would have been so nice :D
My choice: the new JEM

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry... Misunderstanding here... i meant that you wpuld say the edge pro doesn't stay totally in tune without the stud mod :oops: .... Sorry about not making myself clear...
BTW cool name, the stud mod...

·
Registered
234 Posts
2002 for the ebony better feel, with edgo pro and lo pro i don't notice that much of a differance common edge pro isnt bad compared to some guitars pickups :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like rosewood fingerboards a lot, so i vote for the new one... also, i haven't noticed much difference in the performance of Lo Pro and Edge Pro bridges on Jems... but i like the way Edge Pro's look on them.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
2002 Model, i just prefer Ebony a whole lot more. I also thing the Lo-Pro is just generally a better and more reliable bridge compared to the Edge-Pros, don't have all that stupid stupid locking stud hassle too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Real easy choice for me. 2002. Now why? Because I already have a rosewood fingerboard (7VSBL) and if I were to get another JEM I'd want it to feel and sound different. 2 weeks ago a fellow JEMsiter: VanWyck came over to my house with his 7VW and we were both A/Bing our respective JEM's. Rosewood was slighter warmer and you felt wood underneathe your fingers. Ebony was slightly brighter and you just felt something smooth underneathe your fingers. I preferred my rosewood and he'd preferred his ebony. They are both great. Just personal taste.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This might sound a bit stupid but...I'm a little hesitant about getting either...my friends already make fun of me for being a pretty big Vai buff and getting the exact same guitar that he plays would make me the butt of their ridicules once more :oops: So I play a 77FP..and i love it...But i would definitly wanna own a 7V someday...when i can stick it in my buddy's face and say &*(&*)*() !!! :lol: When that happens, hopefully they'll be making a 7V with Ebony board and Edge Pro with improved studs :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
bobojem said:
This might sound a bit stupid but...I'm a little hesitant about getting either...my friends already make fun of me for being a pretty big Vai buff and getting the exact same guitar that he plays would make me the butt of their ridicules once more :oops: So I play a 77FP..and i love it...But i would definitly wanna own a 7V someday...when i can stick it in my buddy's face and say &*(&*)*() !!! :lol: When that happens, hopefully they'll be making a 7V with Ebony board and Edge Pro with improved studs :p
"If your friends jumped off a cliff..... "

Honestly, the Jem is one of the best sounding guitars out there. Don't let your friends make your decisions for you.

:)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, you already own a FP, so...

I dont like the 7VWH, but it is a very good guitar. Go get the 2002 and be happy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts