Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After receiving the most awesome LNG 30th Anniv. Jem 777 and just being floored by how well it played, felt and sounded acoustically, I was shocked and dismayed to see that the left trem post was WAY high. So high in fact that the knife edge on that side was not in it's proper slot but instead hitting halfway into the shaft of the post.

Thankfully I noticed this before attempting whammy theatrics, because I almost certainly would have wrecked the knife edge. I slackened the strings, pulled the trem back and attempted (after making sure the trem locking nut was loose) to lower the post. It made one turn down before completely stopping. I figured perhaps it wasn't centered upon the threads to screw in properly, so I promptly removed the trem entirely to tackle the problem

After finding that the post was in fact screwing in properly I was baffled and alarmed why it would not screw down to a normal height like it should. So I removed the treble side post and compared the 2 pieces... As you can see from the photo the stopper at the end of the bass side screw is longer than the treble side, thus preventing it from screwing down as normal. When I threw the treble side post into the cavity on the bass side it screwed down as normal. I was relieved to find that it wasn't improper drilling in the wood of the body, but that (it seems) the flaw is with the trem post screw? Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I just order another post screw? Is one supposed to be longer than the other like this? What is my issue here? Strange that this passed inspection on a limited $3500 guitar:?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a locking stud, 1.5mm allen wrench on the multi tool to pull up the set screw.
Ah, I see... Thank you!! Also, any thoughts on removing the trem stopper in the back, which I'm assuming is there to prevent an overpull upward? However, I'm not crazy about the feel of it stopping the bar like it does a bit prematurely...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts