Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I got my JEM 30th, I have had a good time with it, and felt that the setup was pretty nice and by that I meant that the action was right for me.

However, I noticed that the backstop engaged a little higher than 0 point, which basically means its not helping with the trem stability at all and just working as a normal floating trem. So today after about a month since my guitar arrived, I open the trem cover and notice that the trem is not touching at all the back stop when in rest.

The little black line that Rich describes in the side of the trem block is not parallel either. I look at the two screws to adjust the trem and... it looks like there is no more of the screwy part of the screw. Is it safe to just dig in, wont it damage the hole if I continue to screw it pass that point? Also some strange marker in my trem area like an number 11.

Pics included, if this is normal please excuse my noob questions.

pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157685728569502

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i'd try screwing them in more, doesn't look like you have far to go.
Thanks, I just wanted to double check if it was ok to screw it a little more even if the "screwy" part of the screws were not showing anymore. It went in effortless.

That worked and I ended up just disabling the use of the backstop. The "flutter" was super noisy as it hits the backstop and makes a very annoying spring noise.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Honestly I'd remove the Backstop, I hate the way they feel.
My S540HH had a backstop and I hated the way it made the trem feel. I sold that guitar. I got a 540R with a backstop just because it's a coveted thing to have in the Ibanez world, but I am not into backstops.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I'd remove the Backstop, I hate the way they feel.
I don't want to completely remove it, and misplace the parts... so I just rolled back the contact point and now its never engaged. I hated it too and can't see how Steve flutters his term with that thing in place, the noise alone sucks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think they had the right idea, my reaction to the backstop was "what the hell is wrong with this trem". Then I disengaged it and had it floating like a normal trem and suddenly all is right with the world. The way my guitar was setup had it relying on the backstop for stability, causing the tuning stability to be pretty rough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts