Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been experiencing some problems with my JEM555 recently.

My bridge seems to be sitting a lot closer to the scratchplate, which is bending the scratchplate when it plays, also at the same time it's struggling to stay in tune and i'm not getting very good sustain as i usually would.

Upon taking it apart for further inspection i've noticed the stud threads have a lot of flex in them, and the trem actually pushes the stud towards the neck which is causing the trem to sit right next to the plate.

I'm assuming that the threads are shot as you can actually wiggle the studs in the receivers, screw them in further though they sort out but are too low down.

Is this a common problem with Pro II trems? the studs flex so far forward that the teeth (or whatever theyr'e called) come unattached from the stud and the trem comes away from the guitar.

Thanks for any help :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds like the holes that were drilled for the trem stud inserts and post have rounded out under time.. a common problem.. especially with locking trems in basswood or mahogany over long time use.. the common solutions is to have a luthier removed the inserts.. drill out the holes.. insert and glue in maple dowels (which are much more dense and the re-drill the new holes for the post.. and then you're money.. for extra insurance, you could always hit Rich up for some locking studs when you do the fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice to hear someone else with the same diagnosis!

however the stud receivers are actually metal thread and are compression fitted in to the body, will see what's about!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts