Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie from Norway here....

Was just wondering what kind og tremolo system I can fit into this guitar. Just got it (used item :smile_big:) and after playing it a little bit, I now have decided that it can't be used, before I can find a nice replacement system, that will keep it in tune even after some use.

Any suggestions will be very much apprciated!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go with an OFR. Drops in nicely. You could even use the studs though I would at least exchange the trem posts that come with the new trem.

I did it on mine ('94 JEM555) and the guitar had a massive increase in sustain. I got the one made by Schaller which is virtually an OFR.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi TomFieldaway,

and thanks a million for the reply...for some reason I'm not allowed to post a link, so Iwill just copy this until it's ok...:smile2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi TomFieldaway,

and thanks a million for the reply...for some reason I'm not allowed to post a link, so Iwill just copy this until it's ok...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that did not work either....so...don't know what to do...wanted to send you a link to confirm that I was reading you correctly...ha ha...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wellll, I was basically just gonna send you a link of what I thought you meant with "OFR" :)
Can you send a link, with the correct system ??
Scared to order something wrong you know :-o

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look what is available in Norway.
Here in Germany you can easily get Original Floyd Rose, which is made by Schaller or the Schaller Floyd Rose. The Schaller one costs a bit less though it is exactly the same as OFR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lots of different options here measure-wise...not easy to understand which one to get...

...also..is this system as good as an original floyd rose??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is what I ordered for my JEM555 from the big T shop:

- Schaller Tremolo Lockmeister BC (Schaller 13010442.02) - this is the black trem
- Schaller Lockmeister Tremolo Block 37mm (Schaller 20150137)

You need the 37mm trem block. The standard is 42 and it is too big.

Schaller Lockmeister has the same hardened steel plate as an OFR. It is the same. The only difference is the Schaller logo on the baseplate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fantastic help man, I'll be checking out this soon :)
Thanks so much for the input both of you, now I have options :-D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well guys, I went for the Gotoh GE1996T, and it arrived today..so...I of course have more questions. The "studs" that came with the new system seems to be alot bigger than the original ones, and I seriously don't think there's enough woodwork to drill a hole big enough to fit them. Can I use the old ones with the new system, would save me alot of work and headache?? :)
If not...what are my options right nowt??...Anyone??

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Yes but its ideal to replace the studs or at least make sure the current ones are clean (then change them later).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, thank you so much for helping :)
I will try with the old ones for now, then maybe get some help from people waaay smarter than me later on :)
I also have to sand off a little wood to fit it properly.. But I guess that should be ok.
Thanks again :-D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wonder if I'm allowed to post a pic here now...finished the work on my jem on saturday, and so far very plesased wit hthe result. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts