Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post about this guitar briefly...I just received the 70v, after a 4 month backorder wait. This was a couple day's ago, but after I pulled it out of the box, and looked it over, I was extremely dissatisfied with this guitar...1, being that the back trem cavity was unfinished, just flat black mixed with some seafoam green paint...and 2, that the input jack area was very rough with it's finish...and 3, my biggest problem with this guitar, is that the neck is bowed...around the 21st fret, the high E is barely on the neck so making soloing around there a very big problem...I just can't believe that Ibanez is putting out this kind of product, for a high end guitar such as this Jem, especially attached to the brand name of Vai!!! My 400$ Rg 370 which is also made in Indonesia, came in better shape than this 70v....This is my second Jem, I also own a 505, which is "flawless" same price range as the 70v is...So I know what kind of product I should be getting...as a result of my issues with this 70v, I'm sending it back, and exchanging it for another one, and I'm hoping for better results...On the bright side, the 70v does look and sound very nice, plays well too...So that is why I'm giving the 70v another shot, plus I love the color of it!!! So keeping my fingers crossed, and yet withstanding another delay on waiting for the replacement 70v to arrive sometime in Dec now!!!
Just wanted to share me experience with the 70v Jem...
Thanks,,,

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Hey JR, Welcome to Jemsite man

Your not the first to report finish issues with the 70v or any other Indo Premiums. Sadly, this just doesn't seem to be a concern at the Jawa factory. I hope for better on you second try.

As far as your neck problem goes, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's just a pocket alignment issue........this is easily and quickly fixed. When you get the second one make sure to post and NGD thread with plenty of pics!!!

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
The last 505 I had, Japan has it's issues with pocket alignment also, just not as consistently as Indo

Your biggest problem is buying it from a dealer that didn't correct it before you got it. But unlike RGT says, it is not quickly or easily fixed, he would only say that if he hadn't had to fix them.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
When I got my 70v sfg, there was a neck-pocket alignment issue. Once that was repaired and the guitar set-up, it's great.
I think yours was the first that I had heard about. It seems to be fairly common. Not a big deal as you know.........but it would be nice if they QC'ed these things a bit more before shipping them off..........it's not like they're THAT cheap.

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
I've been complaining about it since the first ones came in, and Jemsearcher was going off on how perfect an instrument they were, when I had just checked in 7, 2 rejected, and the other 5 all needed work. Ken has a tech department so I cut him special truely AS IS deals because I know they can handle the issues themselves.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
The last 505 I had, Japan has it's issues with pocket alignment also, just not as consistently as Indo

Your biggest problem is buying it from a dealer that didn't correct it before you got it. But unlike RGT says, it is not quickly or easily fixed, he would only say that if he hadn't had to fix them.
It's not hard......just a little time consuming. I've done 2 of them now. The only part that could be considered "tricky" is opening the pocket up.......and that was only necessary on one of them (an RG350M). The first was just a push of the trem on the studs, and a nudge of the neck in the pocket. I did fill and re-drill the neck for screw alignment, but that was only because the Jawa guys did such a crap job of it the first time.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I've been complaining about it since the first ones came in, and Jemsearcher was going off on how perfect an instrument they were, when I had just checked in 7, 2 rejected, and the other 5 all needed work. Ken has a tech department so I cut him special truely AS IS deals because I know they can handle the issues themselves.
I remember that......LOL. Jemsearcher had the only "perfect" 70v on the planet!!!

I also remember Ken putting up his NGD......everybody knew it was an as-is deal. We know you wouldn't ever send something out the door like that.

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
Opening the pocket is the only way to fix Premiums, the pockets are usually so tight there is zero side play, and the necks are usually jammed into a pocket that is too small, and offline. It is time consuming, and tedious to do right, neither of which I would clasify as "easy" ;)

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
[I figured the guy with 2 posts wouldn't know your name ;)]

There's AS IS, and then Ken's AS IS with extra discount, he's the only one that gets them and it's because he has that tech dept.

Hand sanding, it's just more accurate doing a realignment IMO.

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
It's just more accurate. That way you can keep refitting the neck to check the progress so you end up with it perfect instead of too far open trying to guess how many degrees to rout it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
damn.....i hope that i don't have to go through all of that with my 70v replacement...these guitars for the amount of money they cost, should be inspected and sent out as if they were going to Mr. Vai himself!! As I said earlier my 505 came 'flawless' and after I through in the Evolutions, it truely became a "Jem"...So I'm expecting the same results with the 70v as well...But good info on pocket fitting, I really wasn't sure how that was done, and I would never try that on my own, that's what my guitar tech is for!!
Again, thanks, for the info....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.