Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just read on the articles on this site that Vai wanted the neck of this guitar to be thinner, but it doesnt explain for what purposes. Wondering if anyone knew? I also heard it isnt a wizard neck but one in its own right which is similiar to the wizard.

I was also wondering addressed to owners of this guitar, whether they have problems with the neck due to its thinner dimensions. Is there more of a tendancy for the neck to warp, or is this overcome by the skunk stripe trust rod enforcement?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, as the great Einstein (up their with Vai and Satriani of course) said, 'the important thing is to never stop questioning things.' Its the key to understanding.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I have just read on the articles on this site that Vai wanted the neck of this guitar to be thinner, but it doesnt explain for what purposes. Wondering if anyone knew? I also heard it isnt a wizard neck but one in its own right which is similiar to the wizard.
That's the Jem carve.

I was also wondering addressed to owners of this guitar, whether they have problems with the neck due to its thinner dimensions. Is there more of a tendancy for the neck to warp, or is this overcome by the skunk stripe trust rod enforcement?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
I love the Jem carve; it's my favorite neck by far. I haven't seen one warp, but I have seen Wizards twist. My 550's Wizard neck has a slight twist, which is compensated for in the fret level. It's there, but has no effect on the instruments playability.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the old Ibanez catalogues, the older ones stated the Jem 7 DBK has a super wizard neck. But the later ones state it has a jem prestige neck. Are these the same necks under different names, or did they change at some point??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Confusingly, in the earlier catalogues no specs are mentioned, only the name. From 2000 on, a table is published with specs, but without the Super Wizard. The name Super Wizard doesn't show up until 2003 in the table, but is listed as 17mm/19mm. The original Wizard is 17mm/20mm, Jem is 19mm/21mm.

Wizard prestige refers to a three piece maple neck with a volute. Super Wizard is maple/bubinga/maple with a scarf joint, so it would be impossible to confuse the two.

I've always thought that the DBK shared a neck profile with the Jem90HAM (the first bubinga reinforced Jem) and the Jem2kDNA. The HAM certificate specifies the neck as 17mm/20mm (no name mentioned) and the 2k neck is specified as Super Wizard in the leaflet. All three are maple/bubinga + scarf joint for sure.

There is precedent for Ibanez changing neck specs on a single model (most notably the JPM) Plus hand finishing and year to year differences will also be evident when you measure it.

I have a HAM, which doesn't show any warpage, I've heard some have a bit of an S-shape neck or backbow, which can be difficult to set-up, but mine is straight as an arrow.

I'm guessing both the backbow and the stability are due to the high density, strength and stiffness of ebony, but since the DBK (and DNA) are rosewood this won't matter. Note that the fretboard is a big fat slab of wood compared to the thin Wizards, but Wizard necks have a double trussrod to compensate for their low cross section.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that guys, thats interesting that the Ham also as the same, I always thought they were similiar to 7DBK. Ibanez dont make it simple at times do they, lol

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
hello

i have a dbk and i like it a lot.fine neck! different then a old 550, but thin too.like a pbk neck.the profile is different but very fine.try one if you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts