Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Jem 7V WH 2018 prestige made in Japan, and have been playing it a lot because it's such an amazing high quality insturment. In the past week I have noticed a very small amount of oxidation on the bridge, and want some advice on how to take care of it and hopfully nurture it back to it's original gold colour. This is my first post on Jemsite, and I am so glad there is a place where there are so masy knowledgable people on these great guitars, I hope someone can help me with this! Here are some photos of the bridge and the small amount of oxidation:

Wood Tool Artifact Auto part Metal

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar

Attachments

Registered
It doesn't look like oxidation, but like the golden finish wearing off. Unfortunately, the golden finish wears off very quickly and cannot be restored (unless submitted to a gold electroplating process, which is quite expensive).

Keeping the hands clean and dry could help delaying the process to some limited extent, but palm-muting or the hand resting will make that area of the bridge to wear off sooner or later.

Or just enjoy how your guitar becomes naturally relic 馃槈

Registered
Yes... But when it looks like this... It's just glorious.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Audio equipment Electronic engineering

The only way to fix the corrsive pitted look is to use a metal polish. Something like... Autosol or never dull. Unfortunately it will remove the gold plating if you polish it, but it will look shiney again. Your finish will look like something in between a chrome and gold color like yours is where your hand has made contact. Every time I finish playing my guitar I wipe that gold finish off. Keep it clean and it will stay nice and shiney. They will all fade to a chrome like color eventually.

Registered
Probably not, any sort of paint doesn't adhere to a perfectly smooth surface. It would probably flake off. No instrument will look new forever, and that's not a bad thing! It gives it character I've had this guitar here for 17 years... I just replaced the bridge because it was worn out. But the guitar definitely has been relic'd by use! I think it's awesome. You can see where my fingers rub... Just to the right of the high E string. The paint has worn through to the mahogany, where my arm lays across the body has yellowed and worn through the clear as well. The fingerboard used to be a little more gray before it was refretted... Even the gold knob is turning chrome from wear.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Blue

Registered
You know I find it very interesting that the OP wants to correct aging in an age where people pay for relic work premiums to have guitar and hardware look like this. I support OP in fixing anything or modding anything on a guitar you love. I have modified all my early guitars at that time. I will say this. Man it looks so cool. Leave it. Peace鈥.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts