Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be that blasphemous?

The Evo's are just a bit too much for me lately. Too hot, and they push my amp a bit too much, and compress the tone a bit much.

I don't want to loose too much of the high end, but I want something warm and articulate.

My main player is a EBMM JP with a modified Steve's Special in the bridge, I really like the clarity I get from that, but could do with a less compressed tone. Would the breed get me there? Or maybe I should go the Paf Pro route?

I've got a breed in my basswood Jem, and it sounds great, would it be as good in the alder 7V?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Before I came to the "I've got a breed in my basswood Jem, and it sounds great" was I thinking that Breed is not what he’s looking for.
But after reading that, then I thought, “Go with the Breed”.

In my opinion is Breed a lot less compressing (but I like to describe it as more dynamic then EVO instead). It is defiantly warm and articulate, but you will lose a bit of the high end compared to the EVO (or maybe I should say, get a different high end then EVO, a bit softer and rounder, not as hard and “screamy” as EVO can be, less aggressive).

One can never go wrong with Breed :)

The difference you hear between your Basswood JEM and your Alder JEM unplugged will be there if you have Breed in both, meaning if one is open an clear unplugged and the other one is muddy, then you will have that plugged in to.
So listen to the unplugged differences between the two guitars (with the same sort of strings, that are equally fresh) and it will give you a pretty clear idea on how the basswood will sound with Breed.

My advice is always to forget about what wood it is and listen to the specific guitar instead.
There are no specific sound qualities in any wood that’s always there.
It is just to fool yourself to think that this or that pickup don’t work (or always work) with this or that wood.
Basswood (any wood) can sometimes sound more like mahogany (any wood) then a mahogany (any wood) guitar and so on.

A guitar that sounds bright unplugged will sound bright with a pickup that you felt was to dark when you tried it, because the guitar you tried it in was a dark sounding one (for example).
I have really dark sounding basswood guitars and also really bright sounding basswood guitar, they sound like completely different wood.

You can most of the time get a better idea of how it will sound by the weight of the guitar (compared to others of the same model) then knowing what type of wood it is.

/Magnus

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! The basswood jem is a lot muddier acoustically anyway, and has a very middy sound plugged in. I was thinking that the Breeds would probably level things out with the 7V seeing as it's a bright guitar anyway.

jim, no chance :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for the advice! The basswood jem is a lot muddier acoustically anyway, and has a very middy sound plugged in. I was thinking that the Breeds would probably level things out with the 7V seeing as it's a bright guitar anyway.

jim, no chance :)
Breed will defiantly round off the treble more than the EVO does, and also push the midrange a lot more.

/Magnus

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just noticed that DiMarzio are now offering the AT-1 outside of the Timmons sig model. I'm tempted to give that a shot too - it's quite similar to the Breed by the looks of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts