Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where are Jems made, or maybe a better question is where were they made from 2003-2005?

What is the cutoff for the Ebony fretboard?

I have a Jem 7VWH and it has an Ebony fretboard and, according to the s/n is a 2004.

What is odd to me is that I have read Ibanez stopped making Jems with Ebony fretboards in 2004.

My headstock does NOT say "J Craft" and my case is black tolex with hot pink interior and a matching Ibanez logo color on the outside, kinda reminds me of the case my old Gibson Explorer was in.

I am really happy to have the Ebony, but wonder if my guitar was or was not made by the "J Craft" team. I don't get it...are there several places these Jems were made and how much of a difference is there?

My Jem is flawless, but I will say that when I took possession of this guitar (new) from the store (which only had it for days and was not on display, as if they just got it in, and by the way, I have worked with this family owned business for over 34 years...very reputable and honest) it required a major setup, for example: the hardware for just about everything was loose, I had to shim the locking nut (thank god they were included), tuners were loose, etc., etc., which I performed following Rich's instructions (much love and respect to Rich...http://www.ibanezrules.com/) on his website in combination with my own experience and knowledge from having owned and played an Ibanez 540s, which is similar but very different (wish I never sold that guitar...damn).

Anyway I love this guitar and just wanted to know a little more about it, thanks.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
All Jem 7VWHs were made at the Fujigen plant in Japan. The cutoff for ebony was either 2004 or early 2005.
Not all Jemsite had the Team J Craft stamp, and that division disappeared.

If you do a little research on the site here, and through the old caralogs--you'll find all of your answers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the entire thread and posted a question...

If I posted several pics of the fretboard would it be possible to determine wood type?

There is almost NO grain and it is very very dark, yet it is an '04.

Let me know and I will post.

Thanks

·
Vendor
26,423 Posts
Typically they would do a run of replacement necks in the last year of the run and after the spec change any replacements would be current spec. I've never seen an 04' ebony and I do not believe any exist.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Here's a thought: this guitar is probably a 1994. It would have a serial number starting with F4 and it would also explain the case with the pink interior.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O.K. that is it! LOL

Pics tonight and post tomorrow...everything.

Case
S/N
Neck

Some notes...

I am not a professional or touring player.

My life has changed and I really don't play that often, once a week for two hours. At the most three times a week for six hours.

I have been a player for over 30 years and have had several Rosewood fretboards.

I play only when hands have been washed thoroughly and clean the neck, fretboard, strings and guitar with a lint free cloth dampened with Lemon Oil before placing guitar in case...always stored in the case.

This guitar in particular has never been played in an environment where sweating was an issue. In fact it has never left my home.

I have practiced the cleaning method for all of my playing years and have NEVER seen my Rosewood necks darken. I am aware of what a Maple neck looks like after years of play and this is not something that has ever effected any of my Rosewood fretboards.

If that was the case for others I doubt it would be even coloring across the entire neck, but I may be wrong in that assumption and am sorry if I offended anyone.

So my unprofessional opinion is that I have an Ebony fretboard. Although, maybe the S/N is the issue, but it would be impossible for this guitar to be a 1994. The shop where I bought it gets one a year and if not spoken for in advance it usually sells in weeks anyway...so that would blow my mind. I will also try to find the original paperwork.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Yup, I know 2003 was kind of a "mixup" year in that it had an EP and ebony, but I don't think that a "3" has been mentioned in the serial discussion.

If it were an '03.....that would explain a lot.
I know my 2004 either has ebony or the darkest rosewood I've ever seen!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I will be posting pics of the bridge as well...thanks for keeping the post alive.

From memory only, and that is not saying much...I think I have the Lo Pro.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I know my 2004 either has ebony or the darkest rosewood I've ever seen!
Prolly Rose..........I've seen some exquisite black rose in the past (not on guitars). It's not that hard to find if a wholesaler has old Brazilian stock, It's just WAY too damn expensive now. More than Ebony, which is getting near impossible to find in jet black.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Prolly Rose..........I've seen some exquisite black rose in the past (not on guitars). It's not that hard to find if a wholesaler has old Brazilian stock, It's just WAY too damn expensive now. More than Ebony, which is getting near impossible to find in jet black.
It's possible---my black 770 had some very dark wood, too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts