Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have both Ibanez Jem 7vwh and Ibanez Jem 7vsbl and i verify several differences. They´re both from 2002, so besides the wood difference Ebony/Rosewood, I noticed that the neck, the sound, weight and feel is noticeable different. Wasn´t expecting that much of a difference! 8O

Did anyone else notice this??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Explain this a bit more. My two Jems are a 7Vwh and 77Vbk, the 7v is a 2005 and the 77v is a 2007. These guitars have necks that are for all purposes identical - couldn't tell them apart blindfolded......and that is a plus in that switching between them is really easy to do. I know back in 2002, the higher portion of the neck wasn't as wide, right? Other than that, I would assume that they would have the same neck feel. I almost bought a 7Vsbl in early summer, but ended up getting an "as new" PGM100RE instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the 7vsbl neck feels just a little larger all the way thru the neck and also heavier in the body, maybe because of the paint?? The sound is really different a bit more harsh and with less sustain on the 7vsbl.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I also have both, although my 7VWH is newer (2010). 7VSBL is an '02 also. I can confirm that the SBL is noticeably heavier than the WH (in fact, my SBL is one if my heaviest guitars!). Always wondered why when they are both Alder bodies. I also felt the SBL was a bit "harsh" sounding in stock form. I changed out the pups from the original Evo set to an Evo2 bridge & LiquiFire neck (both slightly warmer & lower output than original Evos) and now I love it. The guitar still screams but that harshness is gone.

Now for me, my later model WH has the newer 5-pc neck and rosewood fingerboard, whereas the older WH's like yours still had 1-pc necks and ebony fingerboard. So I can't really call a neck comparison between mine "apples-to-apples". That being said, I do prefer the older 1-pc neck to the newer neck. But I actually like the even older necks such as on my '89 777VBK better than the '02 neck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe a slightly self-induced perception? If you went into the comparison trying to find a difference, you're more likely to invent one for yourself!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... I don't think my 7VSBL sounds harsh, but I don't have a 7VWH to compare.
It sounds awesome! Just comparing beetween de two... They just sound diferent. I´m not telling wich one is better, just the one i prefer. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Final hand sanding on each neck can cause them to feel different.

Heavier wood mean denser growth or more water in the wood.
Both of these factors can effect weight and tone.

I have both guitar myself, 01 VWH and 03 VSBL.

The two I have feel the same in the neck.
The 03 VSBL has an Edge Pro and the 01 VWH has a Edge Lo Pro.
The overall feel of the two guitars is the same.
I do have an EVO2 in the bridge of the 01 VWH, so they sound a little different.

My 03 VSBL is the only JEM I have that I like the EVO 1 in.
Normally the EVO 1 is too harsh and a little bright for my taste.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My 03 VSBL is the only JEM I have that I like the EVO 1 in.
Normally the EVO 1 is too harsh and a little bright for my taste.
I think ebony and alder can filter some of those harsh frequencies making the Evo 1 sound as good as an Evo 2 in mahogany/basswood/rosewood.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think ebony and alder can filter some of those harsh frequencies making the Evo 1 sound as good as an Evo 2 in mahogany/basswood/rosewood.
I have a mahogany body RG with an Evo1 in the bridge & love it! Def think it sounds better in heavier/darker tone wood... At least in my case it does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts