Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,569 Posts
Condition is important as the finish falls off if you breathe on it or look at it wrong ;)

I would have though getting a good one for £2500 would be about right, but current circumstances say that they go for lower than that here in the U.K., if you know what I mean ;)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Condition is important as the finish falls off if you breathe on it or look at it wrong ;)

I would have though getting a good one for £2500 would be about right, but current circumstances say that they go for lower than that here in the U.K., if you know what I mean ;)
Really? I wasn't aware the finish was fragile on these.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nice, always dug the 'shard off a glacier' vibe. Didn't Steve have a UV made in the same scheme? I recall seeing something like that on his gear page.

Were the pickups in these Jems exclusive to the model or am I imagining things?

·
Administrator
7,569 Posts
Nice, always dug the 'shard off a glacier' vibe. Didn't Steve have a UV made in the same scheme? I recall seeing something like that on his gear page.

Were the pickups in these Jems exclusive to the model or am I imagining things?
Vai does indeed have a Universe in this finish. The pickups are standard Evos though, but they sound great so no worries there :)

The blue finish on these is not varnished so flakes off easily to reveal the wood underneath and is quite rough to the touch compared to a normal finish. The pickguards being metal tarnish quite easily too I understand.

however... it's one of the coolest looking and best sounding JEMs so, they're foibles that can easily be overlooked :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
I found one of these in a second hand store years ago. Was just after my kid was born so i didn't have the £1250 (¥ equivalent) they were asking for it at the time and had to pass on it.
Of course looking at prices now I should've got it as an investment for them... Oh well another tale of 'one that got away'

Congrats on your score!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^ Bummer!

Vai does indeed have a Universe in this finish. The pickups are standard Evos though, but they sound great so no worries there :)

The blue finish on these is not varnished so flakes off easily to reveal the wood underneath and is quite rough to the touch compared to a normal finish. The pickguards being metal tarnish quite easily too I understand.

however... it's one of the coolest looking and best sounding JEMs so, they're foibles that can easily be overlooked :D
That would be a UV to have! Re. pickups, maybe I was thinking of something else, the 20th possibly.

Interesting, yeah, I figured it was basically engraved with the textured areas being recessed. The thin paint probably one reason why they'd sound good. I suppose because of this and the pickguard issue, most people who have them probably don't play them much.

I agree. The blank ebony – I assume – fingerboard also does it for me, so sweet 🤤. I'm not a Jem guy but there's a couple I like, which includes this one, the VSBL and a few others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.