Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here, hailing from Hellgium.

I once had the opportunity to buy an FP in 1996/97 from my then guitar teacher. I believe he asked about 1000€ back then, which was a bit too much for me at the time, playing only 1-2 years, but I've always loved the finish. Now, I'm looking to buy one, not much pressure, but I'm mainly trying to find out what a reasonable price is for either an FP or BFP. I've found price lists on this site, but I think they date from around 2005-2006?

I wonder if BFPs are less sought after? I've encountered a BFP for 2000€/2400$. Is this a good deal? Much cheaper then all other Jems I see anywhere, particularly the FP.
Are the FP/BFP faked a lot? I guess it's genuine, though the serial seems to start with 97, or a strange 91 ...

Any info appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's probably legit but I'd like to see more pictures to be sure. My theory for why the regular FP is generally more expensive is the history behind it, its uniqueness (being the "original" floral jem), that Steve was seen with it and actually played it (compared to the BFP). I do like both but I personally prefer the original FP with it's green vine and rosewood fretboard.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks like a 91 to me, the neck plate is quite pitted and marked, so it might look like a 7. As far as I know, the bottom stroke of the 7 is never vertical in Ibanez serial numbers.

The original BFPs were made 1991-96. They're fairly desirable, testament to the fact that they were reissued as Premiums in 2015 and continue to be available, which has probably eased the pricing on the originals somewhat. However, there are some differences to note between the Premiums and the original Japanese ones. The Premiums have an aanj, Gravity Storm pickups, Edge Zero trem, Wizard style neck. The originals have a square heel, PAF Pros, Jem neck, Lo Pro trem. Indeed, the MIJ floral Jems are the only ones that continue to be made with a square heel whenever they're reissued these days.

Considering that a new Premium BFP costs about $1500 at least, a 2k range for an original BFP in decent shape seems normal to me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Jem prices have been climbing steadily.
It wasn't unusual to find 2nd hand MIJ ones for £€$600-1000 ten years ago. Especially things like the DBK.

Only the rarities (10th, LNG, GMC, PMC, etc) were 3k and more. Although even then the best ones rarely came up and collectors quality case queens were obviously more.

Back then I don't have hard data but I feel like BFP was more than FP due mainly to it's rarity. FP was in production a long time.

Now even fairly beaten up 777s are being listed for 3k... And FPs aren't coming up for sale so often so price has spiked.

I kinda think the availability of the premium BFP might also have knocked some of the sheen off the relative desirability of the original BFP...
It feels slightly less special now the market is flooded with cheap(er) imitations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts