Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I measured the Jem digitally the other day at work the Model Jem7 wh has grown a few mm in length approx 2mm in length and width.

I think it is time for a plan update?

·
Administrator
7,569 Posts
Oooh I feel like in in a Tom Clancy movie... what are you measuring them with and what are you comparing them against.

Deploy the strike team! Secure the asset before there's any more growth!!! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oooh I feel like in in a Tom Clancy movie... what are you measuring them with and what are you comparing them against.

Deploy the strike team! Secure the asset before there's any more growth!!! :D
;)Only the best the guitar companies cannot afford! 0.01mm

I'm not here to sell anything as most would be nor will i give it for free but i will help upgrade that plan on the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when I have the time!

I did the neck as well

next task drill out those knife old edges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hm, have you measured a 1987 Jem and compared them? Has paint thickness changed over the years?

There's also Fritz Katoh's drawing of the Jem body (with measurements) from 1989 which is floating around, which can be used for comparison.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hm, have you measured a 1987 Jem and compared them? Has paint thickness changed over the years?

There's also Fritz Katoh's drawing of the Jem body (with measurements) from 1989 which is floating around, which can be used for comparison.
I've had Fritz Katoh blue print for years, that was quiet accurate to the production floral Jem7-I've only have caliper measurement from a floral -hopefully that answer is satisfactory?

I have not bothered measuring paint thickness but I will say the SBL finish is thinner, i think that is based on a car paint laser blue with sparkles sprayed in the clear coat!

I have been a member under this name for years since 2000 but my account got deleted due to inactivity!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Oh, I'm not criticising, just curious. Paint thickness seems to have varied through the years - of the various Ibz I've owned, some had quite a façade (ugh), while others pretty thin.

Another which might be interesting to measure is the BSB, which is just stained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BSB is absorbed into the grain of the basswood body so would be hard to measure, id say it is only 0.1mm thick. i've measured the BSB neck pre and post finish wear.

Outside of the Jem realm- I would say the RGs with plain red,black,white, yellow and green tend to be thick-----The black sparkle is the thinnest finish I've found to date!

·
Administrator
7,569 Posts
I've got a white '89 RG 570 that has so much paint on it that it looks like a wedding cake with a layer of marzipan and a layer of icing on it rather than a paint finish!!!

I tried to take a bite out of it, but it was rather hard and didn't taste so good :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.