Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the feedback is on owners of this guitar as I am looking to buy one. I heard the neck is thiner than the other jems. Something I wondered on is if the body work irriates your hand with its effect when you are playing hard or is this not a problem. Also are there are other problems with it or advantages over other Jems.

Any comments from those who have or tried this model would be most welcome.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
ive never had one of these jem's,but ive heard good reports about them,seen a interveiw with steve vai somewhere he said it was a cool guitar.id have one deffo :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I own a DBK. It was a guitar that I had to have after watching the Steve Vai, Sound Theory DVD - it looked really cool in the DVD especially under the lights and the way the light reflected off the textured finish. In the flesh the guitar looks really awesome.

The textured finish does not irritate your arm at all.

The neck is thinner - I believe many suggest that it is similar in feel and dimensions to a wizard neck and agree with those thoughts.

The breed pickups have a nice warm tone in both the bridge and neck positions. I personally find that tone gets me closer to my sound better than the EVO pickup which is a bit harsher.

The trem is no different to other Jems of that era and is therefore reliable and comfortable.

The price that these go for is also another bonus.

Hope that helps in your decision.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
this guitar is just okey.nothing wrong with it.its about taste of collours pickups hardware and finish.so its a good guitar try one!

·
Registered
71 Posts
lol, thanks guys, I`m taking him to look at one tommorrow, Birthday present, looks like I`m going to be forking out for another JEM in the household

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for the comments so far guys, yeah I think it looks great. I did hear it was a thinner neck. I have just found out that they dont have scalloped frets at high end, but not sure if this would make much of a difference. Also was wondering if you always get a Ibanez case when you buy an Ibanez from a store?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congradulations on your new JEM son, I hope your going to pick out a decent retirement home for me now when the time comes, haha, beans on toast for me this month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just bought a DK 7 after playing it for few hours, well happy with it, looks like brand new. It must have been forgotton about for a few years in the store on the top of the wall.

Was wondering if you usually get an Ibanez specific DBK7 case, as he had a prestige case instead, which looks good and helped reduce the price.

Having a closer inspection, I noticed something different than my father's 7VH, there is some red attachements on the floyd rose back, was wondering what they are.

Also when you put the strings on this guitar, do you still keep the string heads on and push it through the back, as I thought you cut them of then just did up with the alan key. But looking at the back again, I saw the multicoloured D'addario string heads staring back at me, so was wondering on this?

Many thanks to my father for the financial help on this one, I will repay him by teaching him some pitch axis theory or something. he he

1 - 9 of 9 Posts