Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the market for a JEM soon and I am a little torn on which one to get. They are all such incredible guitars. I have had a chance to play a couple of different models years ago. I used to play the RG series guitars in the late 80's and early 90's and the value of those guitars were hard to beat. I always wanted a JEM, but never could afford one.

So, how does the JEM compare to a late 80's RG 550 or 750? Is the quality that much better? Are the newer JEMs of better quality than the older ones? I have played a few newer RG guitars and they do not have the same solid feel as the original guitars. Is this true of the JEMs?

I remember liking the neck on a Floral Pattern I worked on for a guy about 15 years ago. It was much thicker and more D shaped than I expected. The guitar had been grosely neglected and had major issues, so it probably was not a good example. I also played a DY in a store once and remember thinking that I didn't like the maple fretboard, but hte neck size was great. What is the difference between the Dunlop 6100 frets on the early JEMs and the 6105 frets on later models? Are the 6100's bigger? I hate jumbo frets now. I have had a guitar with 6105 frets and liked it quite well.

Are the alder bodied JEMs noticeably brighter than the basswood guitars?

Appreciate any advice offered.

Chris

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Alder tends to be a bit brighter, and have great mids for sure! Not in an entirely different ballpark than basswood though.

All of the Jems that I have played have been really nice, old and new alike (not counting the 555s as a Jem here).

Some people prefer the older Edge or Lo-Pro trems to the Edge Pro, and some prefer the Edge Pro. Only issue I have with the Edge Pro is that it did not come with locking studs, which was a good idea that Ibanez used for years prior to the Edge Pro. That can be fixed cheaply and easily - Rich (www.ibanezrules.com) will hook you up!

The 7vwh is alder with Evolutions. Evolutions are loud ceramic magnet pickups with a great even tone and much better dynamics than other pickups in their output class. I do not like most ceramic magnet pickups, but I swear by the Evolutions. If you were to breed a Super Distortion and a super loud single coil, you would get the Evolutions. The mids sound sick when you turn your amp up and get the tubes to compress ;)

Other Jems have basswood bodies. 555s (not on the same level as the other Jems) are basswood with Evolutions. Older Jems had PAF Pros. DBKs and the Bad Horsies have Breeds which are more vintage, fatter sounding pickups. They are Alnico V magnet and a bit less output than the Evolution.

Play a Bad Horsie and then play a 7vwh and figure out what's for you.

And 6100 frets are a size larger than 6105 frets. The 6105s agree with my playing style - they let you play harder than smaller frets and let you have action almost as low.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you can't afford the higher end Jems, I wouldn't say the Jem 555 isn't ok. 1 piece out of many you will find is great. If you do go with that option, then try millions of them. Although you don't mind spending right?

The Jem 555 isn't ok in general overall, but some pieces are great.

The jem 7 is the creme de la creme to me.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
If you liked the thicker necks on the original FPs, then you will most likely find the newest ones a bit thin for your liking - Florals, Blue Florals and the original 777s (am I right here - the SKs DYs and LNGs all had thicker D shaped necks?) definitely had a more substantial neck than the 7 series (current JEMs) - of course they are a bit harder to find nowadays, and I have had to have both of my older JEMs refretted - which of course is of no consequence if you have a local guitar dude/luthier you trust.

Some of the Ibanez Prestige RGs are also very nice guitars, and generally can be had for a bit less than you'd pay for a JEM

Happy hunting!

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to give myself a budget of $1000-$1200 for a JEM. It seems that you can find one for that if you look and are patient. I have used the PAF Pro pickup for years in the neck position of abouty every guitar I have owned. Also used it in the bridge of my PRS CE24 that I have owned for about 10 years. My current favorite pickup combonation is a PAF Pro in the neck with a Breed neck pickup in the bridge position. works good in the PRS, but it may not be good for the JEMs. My ears seem to prefer a medium-high output pickup rather than a super high one.

The closest guitar center to me is about 3 hrs away. I'm planning on making a trip in the next week or two and check out some of the newer JEMs and possibly some of the upper model RG guitars. I'm not opposed to **** and will keep my eyes open on jemsite for a gopod used deal. I'm not looking for a collectors piece, just a good player guitar. I will probably change a few things on the guitar and ruin any value it may have to anyone else, so it doesn't really matter about the appearance to me.

Thanks again for the responses.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.