Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I sold my ESP SV because I fell in love with Ibanez again. I have a beat up RG7620 and although it's no pretty sight, the guitar still plays and sounds great.

Here's the thing. I'm planning on studying electric guitar next year and I want to write my own stuff. I'm doubting between the Jem77FP and Jem7VWH (the flower and the the white one, for those numerically challenged as we all are with Ibanez at some point). There is a conflict in my head of all the things associated with this combination and I thought I'd post it here for your thoughts!

Alright, here we go!

I don't want to remind people too much of Vai, but I'm pretty sure my stuff sometimes makes a passage towards it. I love the effects he uses and I'd probably be guilty of making similiar sounds at times even when I don't want to rip the guy off!

When you show up with that white Jem everyone expect you to play shred or something higher end than typical rock songs!

When you show up with a floral Jem everyone expect you to play Always With Me, Always With You type songs. You look pretty weird playing alot of other stuff.

They're both extravagant, if you show up with one of them and suck you suck twice as hard. For some reason I think playing the white one increases that thought even subconsiously!

I really like basswood. It's light and has the 'middle road' between high and lows. Alder sounds good too, but might be just a tad too much on the high and mid range.

The AANJ on the 7VWH is preferred, also because of resonance.

The 77FP is cheaper but also more beat-up/used. Although at gigs this means you don't have to be that scared, so it evens out.

The colors.. I'm such a fan of the bright 80s colors and the pink pickups. I would switch them out with different colors for hours like a little girl! This would look totally crap on a 7VWH on the other hand.

I can try out the white Jem, but not the floral.

The 77FP has the Lo Pro Edge, whilst a new Jem has the Edge Pro. I haven't played the latter yet, but I'd need a locking stud mod done.

The Evolution pickups are pretty specific and not fit for heavy riffing from what I've heard, whilst the PAF Pro's might be a bit more balanced.

The white Jem has a more Wizard-like neck and I prefer thinner necks like that, whilst the 77FP's neck is slightly thicker as it's older.

The white Jem can be purchased new but the floral can't.

End of random thoughts!

My head is going to explode, please help!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Go with Jem7vwh like i do :)
Im thinking about which guitar do i buy.
At last yesterday i visited some guitar shops.
I went to try rgt320Q but it has been sold.
I cant wait long, so i'll go with '07 Jem7vwh

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love my FP and my thoughts are this : you will be able to get vwh's for a long long time from now, an FP in OK condition mikght become not that easy to come across in the next ten years ... Also the FP can be haved a little cheaper as you said right now. Other thoughts : the old neck joint doesn't bother me at all, even if the AANJ is cool. Then for me the Paf's are a tidy bit more versatile than Evo's also ...

Have fun for your hunt !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've narrowed it down to those two seeing as the availability/pricing is alright. The 777 is cool but it's kind of rare to find now and to gig it is ungodly. I like the mirror Jem in some pictures, but in others it looks off.. I like almost all of them but beggars/players can't be choosers and one will do just fine for the time being! :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Don't worry about the Vai ness. Most people in the crowd will just think you have a nice guitar with a handle on it. I say go floral, they're more unique. There's really no wrong way to pick a Jem (unless its a 555) so you'll be set either way

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think if you weigh up the plusses and minuses of both guitars, the floral jem seems like the better option. Well it's the one that I would go for.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Recently I sold my ESP SV because I fell in love with Ibanez again. I have a beat up RG7620 and although it's no pretty sight, the guitar still plays and sounds great.

Here's the thing. I'm planning on studying electric guitar next year and I want to write my own stuff. I'm doubting between the Jem77FP and Jem7VWH (the flower and the the white one, for those numerically challenged as we all are with Ibanez at some point). There is a conflict in my head of all the things associated with this combination and I thought I'd post it here for your thoughts!

Alright, here we go!

I don't want to remind people too much of Vai, but I'm pretty sure my stuff sometimes makes a passage towards it. I love the effects he uses and I'd probably be guilty of making similiar sounds at times even when I don't want to rip the guy off!

When you show up with that white Jem everyone expect you to play shred or something higher end than typical rock songs!

When you show up with a floral Jem everyone expect you to play Always With Me, Always With You type songs. You look pretty weird playing alot of other stuff.

They're both extravagant, if you show up with one of them and suck you suck twice as hard. For some reason I think playing the white one increases that thought even subconsiously!

I really like basswood. It's light and has the 'middle road' between high and lows. Alder sounds good too, but might be just a tad too much on the high and mid range.

The AANJ on the 7VWH is preferred, also because of resonance.

The 77FP is cheaper but also more beat-up/used. Although at gigs this means you don't have to be that scared, so it evens out.

The colors.. I'm such a fan of the bright 80s colors and the pink pickups. I would switch them out with different colors for hours like a little girl! This would look totally crap on a 7VWH on the other hand.

I can try out the white Jem, but not the floral.

The 77FP has the Lo Pro Edge, whilst a new Jem has the Edge Pro. I haven't played the latter yet, but I'd need a locking stud mod done.

The Evolution pickups are pretty specific and not fit for heavy riffing from what I've heard, whilst the PAF Pro's might be a bit more balanced.

The white Jem has a more Wizard-like neck and I prefer thinner necks like that, whilst the 77FP's neck is slightly thicker as it's older.

The white Jem can be purchased new but the floral can't.

End of random thoughts!

My head is going to explode, please help!
1. I'd like for you to explain how exactly an AANJ can affect resonance????

2. A Jem (when properly setup) doesn't require a locking stud mod. It's nice to have it but, you'll be able to abuse the bar without them as well.

3. Why do you care so much about what people will think of you if you have either guitar?

Buy the guitar you can afford and get it over with. If you find an FP for a good price, who cares if they're going to think that you're going to be a ballad type of player???? Ultimately, you're the one who's going to play the guitar, not your audience.

With regards to the finish, just play the guitar you decide to purchase. Whether it is new or not, the finsh won't ever be as delicate as a chromeboy.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I agree with Jimmy. Play the one you want to play. Who gives a **** what people think if you are playing a guitar with flowers on it. Show em what it can do! :)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
That's not entirely true. Unforuntely, MOST people (other than avid guitarists) have absolutely NO idea who Vai is! Sad but true:(

Lol....not true again! I played many a biker bar with my pretty little flower guitar:lol: I got a few comments, but they always stopped when they heard the meaty PAF's throw out some rockin tunes:) Besides, you'd be very surprised how many bikers like flowers:lol: (at least I was, lol)

Also, whos gives a sh*t what other people think Alex!! Just get up there and rip it up the best you can if if they don't like it, "F" um :D That's one thing I learned a LONG time ago!

Lastly, if I had a choice between a new VWH or an old beat up FP, I'd take the VWH hands down (some people just fell outta their chair:lol:)

If money is not an issue, then I'd personally go for the new Vwh.

Also the AANJ has absolutely ZERO affect on resonance!

Now go get um:)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I dont think anyone is going to expect you to play any particular Vai song due to which Jem you have,they both have monkey grips,that makes a statement on its own,people are going to have preconceptions just because of that,its what you play thats going to stick in their minds.I'd go for the floral pattern,and unless you're a collector it doesnt really mater if it has a couple of chips.I'd swap my vwh right now to have a floral!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I'd swap my vwh right now to have a floral!
Keep in mind the necks are different. I used to be an all out fan of the older Jems necks, but the more I try these new prestige necks the more I like um. I actually like them better than the older feel Jem neck now:)

Jeeze.....worse than a chick :roll: :lol:

BTW - hope you didn't break your coccyx Kev :razz:

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Actually I would expect to hear "It's Raining Men", "I Will Survive", "YMCA" or maybe "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the resonance thing is what I've heard Gilbert say and I find it logical that the larger the neckjoint is the better it transfers that energy, however that isn't a deciding factor.

The locking studs aren't necessary in the white Jem because of the alder, but in basswood I wouldn't be too sure..

I fully agree with the "Don't care about what others think" comments and trust me, I'll buy it if i like it whether it's pink or whatever but it just struck me in general as weird to play quite a few songs on the flower guitar! Imagine it! :)

Oh by the way, when you study guitar somewhere people will know you're playing his signature! I can imagine the audition now and there will be a comment I'm sure, but I can deal with that. :p

I'm still doubting.. Also this thing could be great but it's leaning even more towards fanboi mode! :lol:

Edit:

Actually I would expect to hear "It's Raining Men", "I Will Survive", "YMCA" or maybe "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar"
I wouldn't expect anything less!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
The locking studs aren't necessary in the white Jem because of the alder, but in basswood I wouldn't be too sure..
What?? Call me completely DAFT for asking, but WHY in the heck would the wood type make any difference regarding the locking studs?? :lol: Where are you getting this info??? :lol:

I'm still doubting.. Also this thing could be great but it's leaning even more towards fanboi mode! :lol:
Lol....so replace the gold hardware with chrome:D

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
:lol: in keeping with the true ~cid~ form:lol:
Yeah, I've been gone awhile but I'm trying to make my comeback. Had to get ready for the big show tonight, so hopefully aftre this I will have more time.

Also in response to the Dilemma, I would just buy a used RG550 and spend the rest of the money on easy women and hard liquor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts