Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Are these new? Where are they available from ?

It looks like it's screaming out to be modded (Pic guard/truss, pups, etc etc)
I'd have one for the right money!

Ben

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I had an RG 450 DX WH from '94 that I put white Dimarzio Fred and Paf Pro and left the single, got a white pickguard (replaced Pearloid) and replaced the neck with a '99 RG 570 neck. It looked just like that Jem Jr. except it had a black headstock of course.
I got rid of the guitar because it still didn't sound good.:smile:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
they are available in asian places
like hong kong
i try to grab one of those when i went to hk but because of the knockout prices...they are all gone at the first day of xmas sale...
they are worth it..compare to the rediculus price of 555 which i dun think it worth...they basically plays pretty much the same as 555

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
That Jem Jr. looks to be a real piece of crap guitar. It has that crappy ILT bridge and the price is probably inflated just because it has the word "JEM" attached to it. Kind of like how a JEM555 sells for as much as a Prestige RG but isn't even in the same league quality-wise.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone modded a RG350DX like a Jem jr ? i mean it could be cheaper, the monkey grip, by the way is the RG350DX painted white or laminated ?

·
Registered
883 Posts
There's an older thread about these that Steve himself responded to. The 333 was made specifically to stomp out all of the cheap JEM knockoffs that had been spreading like wildfire out east. He promised they'd never be released in the Americas or Europe... although there seems to be a growing variety of knockoffs availible in the "west." It would make a good conversation piece at least.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, they've been in production for, in the case of the 333, about two (?) years now, and the 555 rather a while longer.

The general consensus is they're not in the gallery because they're not "real" Jems. Take that as you will, but my thoughts (and ones shared by quite a few others, at least in part, here), is that you'd be better served by a RG5xx, as it's a better guitar than either, and as you don't have the stigma of playing an "artist" guitar.

(says the guy in love with his UV, lol. Eh, I barely listen to Vai anymore, it's not my fault that the UV is one of the best production sevens out there...)

-D

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of my friend bought a JEM555 last week, I played it, and they actually not that bad. Sound great and the built quality is acceptable, no faults with the finish and the factory setup seem to be just right.

When compare the 555 to my 77FP, I can tell you that apart from the Korean made difference, it is definitely a keeper. My friend got it for £628 new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you look closely at the headstock of the JEM555 it says JEM Jr.
I believe the ones with plain pickguard (black model also) were the first ones made. These had stock pickups, but later were made with pearloid guards and Evolution pickups.
I'm trying to get more info on the left handed ones that were made from
97-99.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Tubarão Guitars said:
Brazil has tons of that crappy JEM333Jr. and PGM3 (white and blue/pink ones).
Very low price for the very low quality...
Tubarão.
Exactly the idea of these guitars ;)

Regards

André

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the all dot inlays on the 333 look better than the half vine thing on the 555 (the main reason I sold mine).

EDIT: I'd just like to say that (inlay aside) my 555 rocked when it wasn't out of tune ;-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts