Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, searched the forum and not seen the answers to my questions, if they are answered please do point me to the threads :)

I have bought a Jem Jr and am thinking of replacing the bridge, what Floyd Rose style bridges are a direct replacement, that would not need any alterations needed to fit? Thinking of an Edge but would like some advice if anyone has already made this change?

The pickups are ok BUT with the mahogany body are not as bright and don't have as much aggressive bite as I'd like, can anyone offer advice on replacement pickups that would add bright bite? Looking to stay passive :)

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
659 Posts
No the edge comes in premium or prestige guitars. That is a TRS locking trem. Gotoh makes a bridge, the ge1996t that is a drop in replacement for that. You need to reuse your bridge posts though. They are about $130. Cheaper than OFR but IMO they are a superior bridge. They just feel better than a stock Floyd, they come with a brass trem spring block and screws that lock in your trem springs. Gotoh makes the edge btw.

This is an original edge trem
Rectangle Gas Auto part Nickel Font

This is the ge1996t
Circuit component Rectangle Font Electronic component Engineering

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

I was looking at possibly an Edge III or a LoPro Edge but no idea if they will fit. Surely with a FR style bridge they can be swapped out?

Build quality is an issue so cheers for the heads up on the ge1996t.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The post spacing is your problem. The posts are different distances apart than either of those bridges. The ge1996t has a flat knife edge on one side, not a curved one on both sides. That allows it to accommodate multiple variations of post spacings. The edge III is a peice of garbage... You definitely don't want that. And the lo pro is about $350. But again they won't fit. You won't regret it. I have 2 Made in Japan Ibanez guitars, one with an edge, one with a lo pro and I have a js100 with a ge1996t. All 3 feel great and stay in tune perfectly. You can't buy a better bridge for the money.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the a junior and a jr SP in the house and the pickups in the SP sound great, but the ones in the white one leave a lot to be desired. I have an incoming guitar , an S570AH that has the same pups as the white Jem jr. I will know for sure if the pickups suck or not if they sound bad on the other guitar as well.

The white Jem jr is actually my daughter’s guitar. I probably won’t be changing the pups on her guitar though. This is the fifth and last guitar I am going to buy her.

By the way, if you can’t get the guitar to stay in tune after using the whammy, try replacing the springs. I wound Up replacing the springs on mine and ouala they stay in tune and return to zero.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I intend on replacing the springs as well as I do understand that they will benefit on helping the guitar stay in tune.

Do you know which pick ups are in the Jr SP?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the a junior and a jr SP in the house and the pickups in the SP sound great, but the ones in the white one leave a lot to be desired. I have an incoming guitar , an S570AH that has the same pups as the white Jem jr. I will know for sure if the pickups suck or not if they sound bad on the other guitar as well.

The white Jem jr is actually my daughter’s guitar. I probably won’t be changing the pups on her guitar though. This is the fifth and last guitar I am going to buy her.

By the way, if you can’t get the guitar to stay in tune after using the whammy, try replacing the springs. I wound Up replacing the springs on mine and ouala they stay in tune and return to zero.
Another factor I just found, the 5 way selector in position two is the humbucker pickup away from the bridge and the middle pickup, and for position four, the inside pickup on the humbucker and the middle pickup. Same as all the other Jem's and RG's I think.

Surely if they were wired so in position two it is the bridge side pickup on the neck humbucker and the middle coil, and the neck side pickup in the neck humbucker and the middle coil for position four that would be brighter?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, this is the typical HSH wiring scheme Ibanez use. The inner coils are used in the split positions 2 and 4.

There may be some subtle difference in which humbucker coil is being used for positions 2 and 4 as each coil is sensing a slightly different area of the string path. I should imagine that if you're using the neck coil of the neck pu with the middle, you might get a bit more warmth because the active coil is a bit further away from the bridge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this is the typical HSH wiring scheme Ibanez use. The inner coils are used in the split positions 2 and 4.

There may be some subtle difference in which humbucker coil is being used for positions 2 and 4 as each coil is sensing a slightly different area of the string path. I should imagine that if you're using the neck coil of the neck pu with the middle, you might get a bit more warmth because the active coil is a bit further away from the bridge.

Thank you, all you have said is really helpful ☺ and definitely rings true.

My dilemma is the bridge humbucker whilst louder (expected) than the middle single coil on its own just sounds 'dull' on its own. Until that is you have the volume up full. Then it does brighten but also stars to get the expected overdriven tones.

Ideally both the bridge and neck humbuckers are cleaner and brighter. Have you any recommendations?

I've looked at the Humbucker from Hell and Air Norton, not sure they're interchangeable but likely the HfH on the bridge?

May need to look at the middle single coil too!

Are the Evolutions, as a set worth the while??

·
Registered
707 Posts
There are a couple of things worth doing before forking out ££ for a new brace of pups.

Adjusting the heights can change the sound/response palpably. I believe the Jem Jr comes with Quantim pups, which are pretty hot (15k and 18k for neck and bridge respectively) and have ceramic magnets, so it's not surprising that they overpower the single and sound a bit dark. I have some guitars with ceramic pups, and I tend to lower them quite a bit (0.5cm at least) - they'll still sound fine but less in yer face, and in the neck a bit less muddy.

Another trick to brightening them up is keeping them low but raising the polepiece screws, especially on the neck pickup.

If the pups sound dull when you turn the volume down on the guitar, maybe you need a treble bleed cap and/or resistor, though most Ibanezes come with them from the factory these days.

Regarding aftermarket stuff, depends on what kind of music you play, what you like to hear and what your overall rig is like.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Before swapping pickups I always suggest get an EQ pedal and play around with it till you get a sound you like.
It won't help if you've got such garbage pickups the note definition is all mushy.

But if they're passable and you are thinking you want a touch more mids here, some high end there... You can test it first with a good EQ.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks, I intend on replacing the springs as well as I do understand that they will benefit on helping the guitar stay in tune.

Do you know which pick ups are in the Jr SP?
‘The pickups in the Jem Jr SP are infinity pickups, which aren’t as dark sounding as the Quantum pickups in the white Jem Jr. the white Jem jr I have sounds dark and the low chords on the guitar don’t sound tight with high gain. They are a little tubby.

‘The Jem Jr SP sounds tight on the low chords.m

‘’The difference between the two might be the different woods used for the bodies. It’s Nyatoh on the SP, and mahogany on the white Jr. However, I have an S570AH with Qauntum pups and the don’t sound as dark as the white junior. It’s body is made out of ash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
‘The pickups in the Jem Jr SP are infinity pickups, which aren’t as dark sounding as the Quantum pickups in the white Jem Jr. the white Jem jr I have sounds dark and the low chords on the guitar don’t sound tight with high gain. They are a little tubby.

‘The Jem Jr SP sounds tight on the low chords.m

‘’The difference between the two might be the different woods used for the bodies. It’s Nyatoh on the SP, and mahogany on the white Jr. However, I have an S570AH with Qauntum pups and the don’t sound as dark as the white junior. It’s body is made out of ash.
You are right on the pickups between the Jem Jr and the Jem JR SP, I have started adjusting the pickup heights to see how this affects the tones. Will let you know...

Weird thing I have found and not had this on previous Ibanez guitars, as soon as you turn the volume up full the pickup gets bright and responsive, picking attack becomes very distinct. Once you dial back to say 7 or 8 the pickups lose that bright attack and start to sound muddy.

Happens on both the neck and bridge humbuckers, need to try the split with the middle pickup but as the position two sounds like a scooped Strat, and the position four sounds a little like an out of phase sound on a Brian May it is probably is not applicable...

Is this known on the Quantum pickups???

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Jem Jr does not come with the 330pf treble bleed capacitor that the premium or prestige guitars have. I know that the js100 does not have the capacitor, but the premium JS and prestige JS does. So when you dial back your volume... Without that capacitor you will lose trebles and it will sound muddy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am pretty sure that the Jem Jr does not come with the 330pf treble bleed capacitor that the premium or prestige guitars have. I know that the js100 does not have the capacitor, but the premium JS and prestige JS does. So when you dial back your volume... Without that capacitor you will lose trebles and it will sound muddy.
Will do my research on having a 330pf treble bleed capacitor fitted! :D Sounds easier/ cheaper than fitting new pickups!

Has anyone done this on the Jem Jr and said it works?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts