Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here replaced the Ibanez branded Floyd type trem with an Original Floyd trem yet? I'm just wondering if it's a direct swap or if the studs have to be relocated (doweled and drilled). Give me some good news! YouTube failed on this.

I have a 2018 if that matters.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I switched Ibanez Standard DL tremolo,
for Schaller Lockmeister
( which is OFR without Floyd logo)
and leave original stud inserts and screw new Schaller studs in.

So in my case it was strait switch. Same dimension.

I guess that there is spec details on Floyd Rose site with studs distance that can you compare with your guitar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a gold OFR with the R3 nut and Sperzel EZ Lok tuners last night. I'm excited to start the mod process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Floyd was a simple install... The nut on the other hand was way too thick so I had to do some work. As mentioned in an earlier thread, the 37mm block that comes stock with the Floyd is too big. The Jr uses a 34mm. Will a 32mm be too short?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wanted the biggest blok.
I know that proper should be 34 but I install 37.
And guitar has now double sustain then with Ibanez DL tremolo.

And for a moment I leave old nut. Just wanted to start play. For me, i wanted to change springs, spring plate, spring plate screws and tremolo.
I did not bother with locking nut..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted the biggest blok.
I know that proper should be 34 but I install 37.
And guitar has now double sustain then with Ibanez DL tremolo.

And for a moment I leave old nut. Just wanted to start play. For me, i wanted to change springs, spring plate, spring plate screws and tremolo.
I did not bother with locking nut..
My OCD won't allow it lol.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I replaced the ibanez branded floyd with a gotoh floyd in a 90's RG. That one dropped in perfectly. As long as you reuse the posts. The gotoh comes with inserts that are identical to the edge bridge, but the post are different. The inserts are larger diameter.

I've owned a guitar with a OFR and i have a custom built onw with a schaller. I've never owned a nicer floyd (that wasn't an edge) than thia gotoh. Plus they are around $110-125 on ebay. Great value.

Here's a pic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12zdZBiF3WcAJ_IFLQUAyOH6RlyL8JHX_/view?usp=sharing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts